Question about releasing tricks

Nov 27, 2009
Let me get one thing out of the way, this isn't one of those "look at this, should I release it?" posts. I would like some input from the people on this forum who've released a few effects, those of you who have had things available to the community for a while now. If you got published on the Wire last week, that doesn't count unless you're a working pro who's been in the business for a few years. What I want to know is, what are the benefits of releasing tricks? What are the disadvantages? What are the good things and bad things that result from having a trick on the market?

I'm slowly becoming a more creative magician now that I've studied more of the foundational literature, and I think that some of what I'm creating is really good. I have several tricks that I might consider releasing sometime in the future, but I want to make an informed decision so that I don't end up giving away or selling tricks that I should be keeping closely guarded. Of course, I'm not going to release something until it's been tested and refined to the point where I know that I'm contributing the best possible effect or variation of an effect that I can come up with.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results