Question for Professionals

Hello,
This is mainly a question for professionals and artists:

Do you only do your own stuff?

Whether it be flourishes or magic, do you ever perform fellow people's material. Example, Daniel Madison, do you ever do Dan or Dave Buck's flourishes,
or Lee Asher, do you ever do Chris Kenner's magic?
Whether you be in the lime-light or a working professional, do you ever do other people's material?

I ask simply out of curiosity. Thank you for your time,

Tom Field

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Usually one will be inspired by someone's work and create an alternate handling based on the effect. (I recently created an effect based off Tattoo You by John Bannon and Backlash 2 by Paul Harris)

Some collaberate together and some just do their own stuff.

We all beg borrow or steal from time to time ha ha.

Professional magicians are out there performing constantly. They do the same tricks over and over and over again, many times a night (strolling). That said, what starts out as the creators original trick, slowly transforms into my version of it. Add a couple things here, a few things there, and before you know it, the end result is totally different from where you started.

There are only 3 tricks I do that I have not changed too much from the original creation:

Weighted Aces (Gregory Wilson)
Sand Trap (Brian Miller)
Tampa Opener (Jim Swain)

Aside from that though, most of the stuff I perform is my take on another guys idea. I put my personality into the effect, and in the end it works out well... :)

Best.
Steve

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have a feeling that many professionals use their own stuff or make variations of other pro's effects. I could be wrong though.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Actually what Steve said is very true. Personally I use other peoples material. I have two effects I created, but other than that I use other peoples. I'm just not that creative in an magic inventor sense. But the routines are my own and the presentations are my own and develop the more I perform. Working in a restaurant was great because you got to work on your performance of one routine over and over in a single night.

j

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results