Questions about a first performance and patter...

Aug 4, 2009
If I can work my schedule around a few things, I'll have a gig doing table magic during a Frank Sinatra-style singer's breaks. It could end up being a monthly thing. The total time would only be 20 minutes (he takes 2 10 minute breaks). I'd be paid $25 plus a meal.

Here's the questions: The majority of the tricks I know are card tricks.. I know only 4-5 tricks that are not card related. How should I space them out? 10 minutes of cards then 10 minutes of other tricks, or a bit here, a bit there? The age demographic is apparently 50+.. Any suggestions for tricks for that age group would be appreciated as well.

Also, would you suggest a running theme for patter, or just trick-specific patter?

One last one: If I'm doing a show per month, should those shows be completely different? Or just switch out a few tricks with ones that I haven't done?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
If I can work my schedule around a few things, I'll have a gig doing table magic during a Frank Sinatra-style singer's breaks. It could end up being a monthly thing. The total time would only be 20 minutes (he takes 2 10 minute breaks). I'd be paid $25 plus a meal.

Here's the questions: The majority of the tricks I know are card tricks.. I know only 4-5 tricks that are not card related. How should I space them out? 10 minutes of cards then 10 minutes of other tricks, or a bit here, a bit there? The age demographic is apparently 50+.. Any suggestions for tricks for that age group would be appreciated as well.

Also, would you suggest a running theme for patter, or just trick-specific patter?

One last one: If I'm doing a show per month, should those shows be completely different? Or just switch out a few tricks with ones that I haven't done?

Thanks!

Just quick tip:

Dont do more than 8 or 10 min of magic in one table. Leave them wanting more, maybe perform a well strucutred routine or two, and go.

Then come back later and see the responses, if they ask you for more, you did your goob good.

:)

hmm i personally think ALL magic works for any age group if YOU perform it right. so dont worry about that. it depends on your tricks for patter i think. also mix cards and other stuff for the tables maybe? and do quick routines to get more tables?? just some ideas i dont know the details good luck.

May 3, 2008
Well, if you're doing table hopping, MAKE SURE THEY WANT TO SEE YOUR MAGIC. I can't tell you how annoying it is when some guy starts showing you magic when you don't want to see any. Also, don't be afraid to do the same trick twice do different people. And $25 doesn't seem like that much money to me.

Aug 4, 2009
it's a small place.. a total of 9 tables I think.

And Penguincdude, you're right.. $25 isn't much at all, but it's a start.. It'll be my first time performing a routine.. I get asked to do tricks at the bar I work at, but I only show them what I have in my pocket at the time.. there's no real structure. So, it's for experience mostly.. the $25 is just bonus in my opinion. Plus, If I do well, I can hand out business cards and maybe get booked for private parties:)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
So would it be table hopping? Or would you be in front of everyone on the stage?

If it's table hopping, you should estimate 5 min at a table, and I would work on a series of 2-3 effects you can do (or one good routine) in that time frame. Then try and hit two or three tables.

Also because you only have a limited time, and depending on the layout of the place, you should try to do things that involve participation from two or three tables, or something like a rope routine that lot's of tables can see at the same time. Do your routine a couple times, and you can get a lot of the restaurant.

I don't know you or how good you are, but if you have a good presentation, your best bet would be to ask to do a routine at the main stage (where the singer would be) for everyone for the first break, then do a table or two during the second break (or some other combination that involves you up in front of the entire place.

As far as theme goes, depending on the theme of the place, like if it is a jazz club, or a Frank Sinatra impersonation club, or just a oldies karaoke place, you should try to fit (if possible into that style, mood and feel.

And good job getting yourself out there. Make sure you're excellent. ;)

Aug 4, 2009
So would it be table hopping? Or would you be in front of everyone on the stage?

If it's table hopping, you should estimate 5 min at a table, and I would work on a series of 2-3 effects you can do (or one good routine) in that time frame. Then try and hit two or three tables.

Also because you only have a limited time, and depending on the layout of the place, you should try to do things that involve participation from two or three tables, or something like a rope routine that lot's of tables can see at the same time. Do your routine a couple times, and you can get a lot of the restaurant.

I don't know you or how good you are, but if you have a good presentation, your best bet would be to ask to do a routine at the main stage (where the singer would be) for everyone for the first break, then do a table or two during the second break (or some other combination that involves you up in front of the entire place.

As far as theme goes, depending on the theme of the place, like if it is a jazz club, or a Frank Sinatra impersonation club, or just a oldies karaoke place, you should try to fit (if possible into that style, mood and feel.

And good job getting yourself out there. Make sure you're excellent. ;)

haha.. no pressure, right?

I'm not sure if I have the testicular fortitude to jump up on stage just yet.. and most things I know are closeup.. I don't think it will be table-hopping, considering how small the place is. Maybe I'll just set up at a table near the stage.. I don't know. I've never even been to the place so I might do some recon first.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results