Quick effect (and sleight question)

Aug 14, 2010
Iowa
Last night I finally got around to recording a quick effect I was playing around with this summer, and I figured I'd upload and share it. (TL;DR: The video is at the bottom of this wall of text.)

The effect is more a demonstration of impossible skill than a standard card trick. Brief overview: deck can be shuffled, etc. to dispel thoughts of prearrangement. Spectator calls stop, magician shows the spectator the card they stopped at; spectator can change their mind as many times as they want. Once a card is finally settled on, the magician puts the card back where he found it, then places the deck on a table and allows it to be squared up and (optionally) inspected briefly to ensure that there are no bends, breaks, etc. The magician then picks the deck back up and proceeds to pull the spectator's card out of the deck in one quick motion.

A very slight modification would allow this same effect to be used for two selections: the first selection can be made and controlled, then the effect could proceed as in the video, with the removal of the two selections happening as in the video, except at the same time (or one at a time, I guess).

As far as the theory behind this thing goes, I like that it only uses one (pretty easy) sleight, and that the magician handles the deck very naturally and openly, with no shuffles or cuts or suspicious moves; setting the deck down emphasizes the hands-off nature of this effect and drives home the fact that the card is actually in the center of the deck. For all intents and purposes, the card is found faster than humanly possible, given its location somewhere in the middle of the deck.

As far as angles go, there is a half-second flash in the video due to the camera position, but you really have to know what you're looking for to see it (it's not during the sleight, but after). The sleight itself is, in my opinion, very well covered - I've used it in real-world scenarios and had no problem. The only real issue is the final reveal / card grab - the angles there can theoretically be really bad, but with proper audience control and positioning there should be no issue. I've also come up with what may be a feasible way to get full 360 degree viewing angles on the final reveal, but I haven't yet figured out a handling that is both effective and comfortable.

I'm toying with the idea of submitting this effect, with a tutorial of the sleight used (which, in my opinion, is one of the most useful controls I know), as a free download on The Wire... but that would be a few weeks off. If enough of you guys express interest, I might contact the mods and see if they think it'd be accepted, and go from there.

While I am definitely interested in your guys' opinions of the effect itself, I'd also be very grateful if some of you who have been in magic longer than I can tell me exactly where the sleight I use first originated... it's one of those things I started playing around with a while ago by accident, but I know it's not original, since it's similar to some of the stuff in, say, Expert Card Technique (but I couldn't find it in there). Since I don't know what the name of the sleight is, I've had some trouble finding its history.

If you feel like filling me in on the name and credit history of the sleight publicly would be exposure, please drop me a PM. Thanks a ton!

[video=youtube;KQ7wcncv2CA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7wcncv2CA[/video]

Feb 4, 2008
It looks like a side steal into a Tenkai and an immediate replacement to either the top or bottom. If I am close to your actual technique then I'm not sure if there is anyone who claims credit for it. It is just the sort of thing people start doing once they learn both of those techniques.

Aug 14, 2010
Iowa
I actually thought, while watching the video before uploading it, that my hand position when I square the deck makes it look like a side steal... however, that is NOT what I do. The actual sleight is much simpler - by the time it looks like I'm doing the side steal, the move has already been done, and I'm honestly just squaring up the deck.

(As an aside, I have been working on the side steal recently, so I'm wondering whether that came in subconsciously and affected my hand position... although my side steal is nowhere near as smooth as this.)

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
The move looks similar to the Clipshift and Daniel Madison also has a control that looks very similar to both this and the Clipshift. The effect itself is not bad, although I'm not too impressed. It just doesn't really look like you pulled the card out of the middle of the deck, that's it.

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2008
Ahhh! Yep. If it goes bottom it is a modification of the Kelly bottom replacement. If it goes to the top then it is a clipshift. Daniel Madison has done a lot of work on the Kelly bottom replacement. It is a beauty of a move. A friend of mine, Chris Beason, does a metric TON of moves all based on the KBR. It looks great BTW.

Aug 14, 2010
Iowa
Ahhh! Yep. If it goes bottom it is a modification of the Kelly bottom replacement. If it goes to the top then it is a clipshift. Daniel Madison has done a lot of work on the Kelly bottom replacement. It is a beauty of a move. A friend of mine, Chris Beason, does a metric TON of moves all based on the KBR. It looks great BTW.

I've done some looking around and decided that the sleight is definitely a variation of the Kelly Bottom Placement. I absolutely love this control - it's diabolical because, when done smoothly, it legitimately looks like nothing happens.

Thanks a ton for your help!

The effect itself is not bad, although I'm not too impressed. It just doesn't really look like you pulled the card out of the middle of the deck, that's it.

I actually agree with you on this one. I do think that in theory it's a cool idea, but I haven't yet found a convincing way to pull the card out of the center of the deck. In the end, I might scrap the idea (depending on how live performances go), but I do think that it's a good follow-up to the control.

Feb 4, 2008
I actually agree with you on this one. I do think that in theory it's a cool idea, but I haven't yet found a convincing way to pull the card out of the center of the deck. In the end, I might scrap the idea (depending on how live performances go), but I do think that it's a good follow-up to the control.

The concept of the effect is fine as it is. I wouldn't scrap what you are doing, just change the revelation of the card. For instance, bottom palms and gambler's cops both work excellently in conjunction with that move. Once palmed the sky is the limit. Dribble cards on the table and snatch the card as it goes by(produce it from palm), you can pass the deck out not only for examination but also to shuffle or cut. Then you can go to the pocket (wallet) with the card. You could do a hotshot cut. There is just tons of options. You move looks great, just needs a better reveal.

So if you don't already do bottom palms and gambler's cops look into these. As renome mentioned, you may want to look into Daniel Madison's work. I have his Anthology(cheap for what you get but expensive nonetheless) and he has a lot of work and variations on that move. If you are interested let me know and I'll try to go through Anthology and find the specific lecture notes that cover uses and modifications of the KBR.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results