Quick Stage Magic

Sep 1, 2007
USA
My school's doing a play where one of the lead characters is supposed to do little quick magic tricks while performing.

What are some good stage effects that are simple and don't take up time that don't require clean up.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Assuming it isn't a performance (e.g. magic show) within a performance (the play), I would think the character would need to do quick visual effects. Without knowing the play, it is hard to give you a good sense of what would work. I think it would be great if the character does magic when none of the other characters are looking and then acts like nothing happened (so only the audience would know what happened).

General ideas:

Appearing anything (cane, rose)
Dancing anything (hankie. cane)
Floating anything (sunglasses, rose)
Disappearing anything (using TT or Pull or Gecko)
Any of the Airborne effects

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
What about a basic back palm? It woiuld be quick to teach them, it is fast, and the clean up doesn't need to happen if there is a reproduction.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
"Little" as in idling and killing time? I almost want to suggest at least one trick with a thumbtip. I think there's a book for under $4 at Penguin - no need to go the expensive route.

Perhaps something with a modestly sized change bag. A Blendo or transformation of some sort. It could even be used to store other items -- taking care of your cleanup concern.

There is a scene in Penn & Teller Get Killed where they ask Teller what he hates about magic. What follows next is pure hilarity. If you can find that clip anywhere then at least look at what he does. No table. No mess left behind. Big, visual, portable, classic magic.

LAKEL.AMBERT

Banned
Oct 13, 2010
You can apply online for membership, the website below has all the info. There is even a Non-Resident Associate Membership that you would probably be eligible for.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
Assuming it isn't a performance (e.g. magic show) within a performance (the play), I would think the character would need to do quick visual effects. Without knowing the play, it is hard to give you a good sense of what would work. I think it would be great if the character does magic when none of the other characters are looking and then acts like nothing happened (so only the audience would know what happened).

General ideas:

Appearing anything (cane, rose)
Dancing anything (hankie. cane)
Floating anything (sunglasses, rose)
Disappearing anything (using TT or Pull or Gecko)
Any of the Airborne effects

The play is Pippin. and the tricks or for the leading player.

Thank you so much for these. And yes.. I meant little effects such as not having a whole performance. Something like he's dancing then all the sudden makes a cane appear or a hat appear. Something that just kind of sends the message like... he can do magic at will.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results