Raise Rise

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Incredibly smoothly executed (I don't really know how this effect is done) but I don't think it's the best thing you've ever done.

I can't quite place it yet, but there's just something about it that's stopping me from saying it was amazing.

- Sean

Nov 18, 2008
CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmnsuAMBTc&fmt=18

This is my performance of Ray Kosby's extremely visual effect, Raise Rise.

A special thanks to Eric Jones for pointing out a few things about the effect to me, and to Mihai (Blunk) for the song choice.

The song is Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, from their album, Eyes Open.

that is some serious pwnage man. my jaw dropped when i saw that. actually i'm pretty much stunned at every thing you do.

keep up the awesome work,

_CC

Nov 10, 2007
All I got to say is your going places with magic. Everything you do impresses me I wish I was that good. LOL

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I looked at this topic, and thought to myself "Omg no please no!!!". Frickin hell. It looked like i blinked but i wasnt blinking, insanely visual. Very smooth. Very good. You remind me of Sungha Jung.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Alright, well two things I guess.

Firstly and most importantly, very well done for getting it as smooth as you have, it's very good and looks amazing. I know how hard the move is, so you're definitely to be commended for getting it down as you have.

BUT, having said that... Secondly - I agree with luXcm's comments on YouTube. The fact that it's a very hard move shouldn't overshadow what I believe is a move that could still be better executed and isn't quite at performance level yet. A lot of magicians here, as you can probably see from this thread already, are all too happy to say well done great work (which is deserved), but also to leave it at that - because it's a hard move. Of course, for these very same magicians, the moment someone performs a double lift with the slightest hesitation, they'll pounce - but it's somehow more alright for Raise Rise to be not perfect, and it's alright to praise it as perfect when it isn't, because it's a hard move. (/rant about magicians) So I do want to say that I'm incredibly impressed at how well you've got it down, and well done, a lot of respect Matt.

But: As well as luXcm's comments... I personally found the rhythm of the sleight awfully strange - it became more frustrating than anything else to watch, though the music may have been at least partly to blame there. Sean_Raf is right, there's just something... missing... As smooth as it definitely is. The other thing of course is that - if you do it more times like Ray Kosby does - firstly, I believe it makes the effect better because the odd rhythm is making the magic really brief and almost insignificant at the moment, but of course it also makes it harder since there are more cards - you know what I mean. It's not that you majorly flashed, or that you have any structural weakness in it. I think the sleight's just at that stage for you where you've got it down pretty darn well - you just need to get used to it more. I had a very similar issue with my GHP at one point. That's what it is, it's different from Ray's because he's done it more, he's more used to that sleight I think. So yeah, just keep doing it and you should get it up to performance standard in no time!

It's very good, and better than most - but in my opinion it's almost, but not quite, at performance level yet. Keep it up though, you're doing great. Excellent work again.

Nov 30, 2008
India
I don't know if asking this would be wrong but my pinkie hurts when I start to raise the card and the card rises at an angle it does ot come out straight.
Is there any way I can improve this I have small hands actually.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results