Re: Magic in School : My take on it all.

Note to Readers: This thread was too long by approx. 400 characters, so I need to split it up into two parts, I apologize. I will edit in the link to part 2 as soon as I post it.

Part 2:...I forgot that I could just reply to my own thread...Part 2 is continued below this post.

Drew (adjones) just wrote up a fantastic guide to doing magic in school. However I believe some of his ideas need to be addressed as a "Part 4" to his guide. I will be referencing his 3 threads in this, so please read those first if you have not done so already.

Please read this after reading Drew's 3 part "series" on the subject at hand.

Part 1: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=372
Part 2: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=373
Part 3: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=374

(Note to Drew: This is not an offensive or argumentative thread/post; it is my take on the subject and feel free to continue these deliberations in another post/thread.)

Firstly, I will start off with just my general views of doing magic in school, and then move onto Drew's posts:

In my opinion, doing magic in school is not a good idea. I did it in 5th grade and in 8th grade to see how people react to it and through my experiences it is not worth the trouble. First of all, you will be insulted for it. There is no arguing that simple fact. Every adult will tell you to not let it bother you, but the simple fact of the matter is, it sucks. Secondly, you will get a reputation for doing magic and your repetoir will run out. Although Drew did address this and say that it is an uncomfortable position to be in and did give advice to help prevent and deal with it, it is not as simple as it sounds, trust me. You basically have to go from being "the life of the party" at school, to telling everyone that you don't do magic in school anymore (or any other excuse that you can think of). The only plus side to doing magic in school is the amount of practice and real-word experience you gain from it; however I prefer other means of gaining that practice than doing magic in school. Also, you see these people every day, which means they will want to see the same effects over and over again. You can tell them no a million times, but they will continue asking and it will start to piss you off. Lastly, if just one person goes on Youtube and figures out how an effect is done, everyone at school knows how it's done which is just disgusting and disturbing.

That's just my 2 cents on magic in school. You can choose yourself whether to do it or not; however my advice is to Stay Away From It.

Now, as far as Drew's threads go, I will now address each section separately:

Hecklers: Wonderful section. Read it, memorize it, and use it. It applies to every heckler you meet basically and not just the ones you meet at school. Great job with this section Drew!

Presentation: Once again, my hat comes off to Drew with this section; it is Wonderful! The only thing I have to add is that you should never approach a spectator with a camera in hand and to never mention a camera first thing. I suggest doing an effect or two to establish credibility with your spectator, and then bringing up the option of video taping.

Crowd Control: I believe a lot was left out in this section. First of all, let me just say that he is right in that you should have a blend of sleight of hand and gimmicks and that you should have control over your audience at all times. Make sure you perform confidently and have a hawks eye at all times. If you perform confidently, not only will it keep your audience "watching the magic and not the method", but it will also make them realize that you mean business. Also, make sure you have a hawks eye at all times, by this I mean, if you see someone trying to reach for something, simply tell them that you are in the middle of performing and that they cannot interrupt; say it with confidence and they will stop 99% of the time. Also make sure that you have 3-5 feet of space between you and your audience at all times; that way you will not only have space to move and breath, but you will also be able to better react to any situation where you see someone reaching for a prop (gimmicked or not). Crowd Control is a huge subject and most of it is common sense, so instead of my writing up everything, I ask that you spend a few hours thinking about it.

"People Think I'm Gay Because of Magic": Like I said in my original views about this, they will think it, they will say it, and it will bring your confidence down; that is just the way it is. As for telling a teacher, not only can they not do anything about it in all seriousness, it will only give people another thing to insult you for.

Approaching Upper Classmen: Once again, Drew did a great job with this section, I have nothing else to add.

Nerves: Yet another great post. Only thing to add is to try taking 10 deep breaths before going out and performing. It will help 99% of the time.

Non Supportive Parents: It is a shame that Drew and I even have to bring this up; and yet even worse that some people need to take this advice. Let me start off by saying that I (and most likely Drew, although I do not like to generally speak for other people as a rule) cannot give the greatest advice as neither of us have gone through it; we can only give some common sense advice for you to try as you see fit. Here are a few ideas:

1. Try Drew's method of asking for magic as presents from other relatives. *I however do not agree with Drew's method of performing a lot in front of your parents because that might anger them. If you believe it won't anger your parents, then it's always worth a shot; just be careful with it*

2. Ask a friend for $20, or a close adult - a teacher for example. If you explain the situation to a teacher you can trust, and explain it well, I can almost guarantee you that they will give/loan you $20 for Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and a pack of cards. Keep Mark Wilson's a secret from your parents for about a month and practice the hell out of 3-4 effects utilizing cards to make a routine and then show it to them and tell them how much you love magic and how much you want to do it. Hopefully they will understand and help you. Hell, even if they don't give you money for magic, you have a life's worth of material in your hands because of Mark Wilson's book. Study it, and when you are done with the effects you can do (with the limitations you have money wise), try busking for money. In a week you will probably make enough to go out and build a parlor/stage prop you learned from Mark Wilson's. Not to mention the fact that by the time you are done with that you will either already have your own job, or be at the age where 99% of your gifts are money.

3. Just try to explain the situation to your parents and pray they will understand.

4. Find someone else who is interested in magic and whose parents support their magic. Ask them for their help, and most likely they will help you. Who knows, after a while their parents might talk to yours and convince them to be supportive of your magic.

No Money!?!: Combine what I have written above with what Drew wrote and you have some very nice solutions to your problem.

DON'T FORGET TO READ PART 2! :)

Running out of Material: Take Drew's advice and pray that using it you will not run into the embarrassment of running out of material. If you do, there's nothing that you can really do about it, like I stated in my original thoughts of magic in school. Do however use Drew's methods of trying to stop this from happening; I wish I had him to tell me that when I did magic in school.

What your peers might think: This is a touchy subject, and in my opinion one that has some very, super-fine lines that cannot be crossed. I have already said that I do not think magic in school is a good idea, and I will base this around the fact that you, on average, do not perform in school.

So let's say one person finds out that you did a charity show for a Children's Hospital and word gets out that you perform magic. You will have 90% of kids think it's cool and 5% of kids who couldn't care about magic, and 5% that think your "gay" (refer back to Drew's and my comments in the "People think I'm gay because of magic section). Now this will bother you, however I want to mention what Wayne said to me when I brought this subject up. He told me that 2 years after you are out of high school, you will look back and wonder why the hell it ever bothered you in the first place what 5 out of a hundred kids thought of you. He said that during it, high school (and in my opinion school in general) will seem to be the most important thing in the world, however it isn't. *Back to me speaking writing* Think about it, you will go through maybe 5 years of being made fun of by 5 kids, and then spend 60 doing what you love. Think of who is going to feel awkward and out of place when during a high school reunion everyone is crowding around you instead of them and apologizing for everything they ever thought or said about you.

Once again, this is one of those topics that can just go on forever, so I'll let you ponder this problem and come up with your own solutions and thoughts on this.

Getting your props taken away: Drew's advice on this was great! The only thing he failed to mention that I believe is a good thing to do (especially if you are new to the school and no teacher knows about you, as if you are in an old school, most of the teachers already know you do magic) is to mention to the teacher during the first week when he/she is not busy that you are a magician and ask if you can do a trick or two for a couple of kids during the "off-beats" of class. Also make sure you perform a few effects (a full set if you and he/she has the time) for them.

Another thing that is a good ideas is to make sure the principal(s) know that you are a magician. Most schools have a rule against cards, and so far I have been the exception to that rule in Elementary and Middle school (we will find out about High school this/next week...I'm praying that I'll be allowed cards in school just in case - I am one of those people who always has to have a deck and business cards on them just because there's the potential to get a booking anywhere). The way I became the exception to that rule was by letting the teachers know I'm a magician, proving my skill to them, and then going to the principal and being able to back my words up with not only my magic, but also with the teachers that have come to respect me.

Once again, I'd like to stress to also read Drew's thoughts on this as well as mine as he has some very nice ideas on this subject too.

Building a Reputation: I will not provide any input on this as I have already stated my views on performing magic in school. I will however say that if you do decide to do it, than doing what Drew says is a nice place to start.

Getting known for other hobbies: I agree with Drew 100% on this one. Why get known for other hobbies if magic if your only hobby, and why mix one hobby with the other if you have two...there might be a reason for you having two different ones. Also, Drew made some very valid points on the types of magic you should do and when.

Fundraisers: I agree 99% with Drew on this one; although I do believe that fund raisers are a great place to perform to get real-world experience, I do not however believe in them being school-operated fund raisers ;). Also, Drew briefly mentioned busking; I do not really agree with this in normal situations (however in Drew's situation it fits perfectly as he has a table where he will be the entire time and not moving around like during a normal fund raiser) so I will briefly mention my opinion on "what you should work for". Do not ask for money, you are doing this for the practice. Also, fund raisers generally do not have the funds to hire a magician and feel they are better off without one. What you should however do is bring a crud-load of business cards and hand them out to ever person you perform for. That will get you (most of the time) at least one booking that you will get your normal hourly sum for. So now you've just done a real-word, free "rehearsal" and right after that you do a paid show during which you also give out business cards; what more can a performer ask for?

Effects: Unlike Drew I will not list effects here; I strongly believe in the fact that one effect might work for one magician and not another and that one effect might work in a particular school/town/city/state/country/etc.. and not another. However I will give the following advice. Try to perform effects that have an instant or close-to instant reset time (as if you were table-hopping at a restaurant). Also, like Drew mentioned, only perform effects that you know like the back of your hand; that way if someone catches you doing an effect a second time, they still won't be able to catch how it's done.

My Own Conclusion

It has been a pleasure writing this. Although it has taken me over 2 hours, I believe it was well worth it. Not only has it helped refresh my views on this subject and see other people's views on it, it has, More Importantly, created a very large and helpful guide to anyone who wishes to do magic in school. It shows both the pros and cons of magic in school and has a vast amount of information on the subject no matter which path you choose.

I would like to say a special Thank You. to Drew (adjones) for bringing this subject up and being the first to take the time to write up a great guide on the subject. My hat goes off to Drew for being so willing to help others and I hope that our advice is taken to heart by all who read it.

Thank you for taking the time to go through the 4 threads on this subject, and best of luck to you and your magic in the near and distant future.

~Magically Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I have performed in school but not every day or every week because they will want a trick everyday and nobody is a trickmachine so like once or twice a month I take my deck of cards and start performing some tricks.. And sometimes when they asked for a trick like 1000 times and I dont have any cards I perform some coin magic.. :D
nice post man..

Aug 31, 2007
I'm a junior in high school.........

Freshmen year I did so much magic...... never got teased, but it got annoying and I was running out of things to do. So, I started saying no, politely, for almost 7 months. I lost no respect, even gained some. It changed me from being a trained dog who does tricks when their masters tell them, to a performer who does magic when HE wants. I now do one trick every two weeks, and it causes talk amongst everyone, just making me more well known, and making my next trick a week or two later even more anticipated and enjoyable.

Saying "no" and not being that trained dog anymore helped me so much. I got respect, I never felt pressured, I NEVER ran out of material, and the list goes on.

Try it. Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the kind words guys; it's always nice to know that your posts don't go to waste :).

I'd just like to mention that I had to edit section two to change a few minor things:

1. "Effects:" needed to be bold and made into "Effects:"
2. In the "Getting your props taken away section I had to change "An effect or do" into "an effect or two".
3. In the same section I had to change "(we will find out about middle school later this/next week)" into "(we will find out about high school this/next week)".
4. In "Getting known for other hobbies" I made "...there might be a reason for it." a little clearer by turning it into "...there might be a reason for you having two different ones."

No other changes to the post have been made, if anything changes, this post will be edited to show those changes.

Thank you for your time,
~Magically Dave

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results