Recap of Lee Asher's Toronto Jam Session

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Ok folks....so here it is.

First off, let me thank Mr. Lee Asher for a wonderful time! It was NOT a lecture, as he has previously mentioned. It was a jam session, and an interesting one at that.

There was trivia every half hour for a mystery email prize from Theory11 (which I still don't know what the prizes actually are...as I didn't win, but anyone who did win, if you could kindly post here to let us all know, that would be awesome). The 3 give-aways were pretty cool. Jeff Pinsky gave away the Jewish Wizard doll (see photo). Lee said that he had 2 decks of cards to give away.....a Red and a Blue Jerry's Nuggets deck. Just kidding! No, but he did have a first edition Guardians deck (which, from what I can remember, was never given away. ........ on a side note Lee: You can leave that deck at Browsers for me....I'll be glad to pick it up on Monday! :) The second deck was the personal Split Spades deck from David Blaine (the ones that he uses, pre-stacked, NOT the blue / red / black ones that were for sale). http://shop.davidblaine.com/catalog/product_deck_bee-black.jpg Don't mean to brag, but I won that deck. I knew that Jay Sankey worked at Mr. Greenjeans in the Eaton Centre :) The FIRST contest I've ever won.

There was pizza and pop (the pop disappeared before I had a chance to grab a can :(). Quite a few people showed up, but a lot more that weren't Theory11 forum members that I was expecting.

Lee was kind enough to show us a few moves. He started with teaching us his Diving Board Double, both the acrobatic and non-acrobatic versions. I have to say, it's MUCH easier to do than it looks, but it's hard to do well. (if that makes any sense).

He also showed us how to do Sybling. I already knew how to do it from his Five Card Stud DVD, so I helped out showing a few people some of the moves involved.

Then the completely unexplained happened. Lee performed 2 effects that COMPLETELY floored everyone. The first was Pulp Friction, in which a face-up out-jogged card VISUALLY lowers itself in a deck after it's spread out. It's kind of hard to explain the effect, but it's INSANE!

The second effect he showed was Continental Divide. THE MOST INSANE OIL AND WATER ROUTINE USING A NORMAL DECK OF CARDS I'VE EVER SEEN. The routine goes something like this: the cards are shown to be mixed. With a little shake (and I mean little.....not a cover for a pass.....not a misdirection thing....just a little vibration) the cards split, reds and then blacks. After showing the faces of the divided deck, the deck is joined again, and another little shake, and the cards are mixed up again. The deck is then handed out for complete examination. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

All in all, it was a great time. Lee is a VERY generous and humble person. Not only did he pose for tons of photos, and teach us some cool fourishes, but he also signed Jerry Nugget cards for people (he signed 2 for me :) )

I'm telling you, both Lee Asher and Wayne Houchin are fantastic guys. I'm assuming everyone else at Theory11 is great too (have yet to meet the other players).

Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who made this happen, and a very special thank you to Lee Asher for his time and knowledge!

Attachments

• JammingWithLee.JPG
    JammingWithLee.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 98
  • JammingWithLee (1).JPG
    JammingWithLee (1).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
  • JammingWithLee (2).JPG
    JammingWithLee (2).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 97
  • JammingWithLee (3).JPG
    JammingWithLee (3).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 93
  • JammingWithLee (4).JPG
    JammingWithLee (4).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 100

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Continued

5 more photos :)

Attachments

• JammingWithLee (5).JPG
    JammingWithLee (5).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 76
  • JammingWithLee (6).JPG
    JammingWithLee (6).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 84
  • JammingWithLee (7).JPG
    JammingWithLee (7).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 78
  • JammingWithLee (8).JPG
    JammingWithLee (8).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 75
  • JammingWithLee (9).JPG
    JammingWithLee (9).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 85

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Continued

last bunch of photos

P.S. It was FUNNY to see emanmagic DIVING for the ripped up Ace of Spades from the Jerry's Nuggets bunch that Lee tore up and trew to the floor. :)

Attachments

• Wizard.JPG
    Wizard.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Ghost.JPG
    Ghost.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Jamming7.JPG
    Jamming7.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so jealous right now......It sounds awesome, getting an opportunity to learn from a pro up close and personal, is always a joy. Hope you find use of the stuff you learned.

Plan something in Vancouver soon T11 ;).

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results