Recent GSOH demos

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Joey I got to thinking as I usually do.... And I was thinking there is like a solid 7 year(Maybe more) discrepancy in our respective skill level. It could be several variables at play: A) Maybe you practice more B) You've been doing it longer or C) Combination of both A and B.......Anyway I know this is not the forum for this but just wanted some honest feedback on my bottom deal......... Let me know if I'm just too fat for the game or what has to be done. Hit me up with brutal honesty sir.

P.S. Good Job on the vids. Keep up the great work.

Reactions: Joey144
Nov 3, 2018
Joey, fantastic work as always. I thought I'd read the chapter, but it seems like I have yet to give it the intense studying it deserves.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Joey I got to thinking as I usually do.... And I was thinking there is like a solid 7 year(Maybe more) discrepancy in our respective skill level. It could be several variables at play: A) Maybe you practice more B) You've been doing it longer or C) Combination of both A and B.......Anyway I know this is not the forum for this but just wanted some honest feedback on my bottom deal......... Let me know if I'm just too fat for the game or what has to be done. Hit me up with brutal honesty sir.

P.S. Good Job on the vids. Keep up the great work.

Gabriel,

I don't think I'm an expert Bottom Dealer but since you asked for my opinion, here is it:

You're obviously struggeling with extracting the bottom card. There can be several different reasons for that but I assume it is a combination of a lack of (proper) practice and issues of the grip that you're using.

If I'm not mistaken you're doing a strike bottom deal (due to the angle I can't tell if there is a slight buckling action). For a strike bottom deal your middle finger is pretty close to the edge of the deck which makes it difficult to extract the bottom card. I would suggest to move the middle finger a little bit closer to your index finger and away from the edge. That way there will be more room for your right middle finger to extract the bottom card. Moreover, try beveling the deck a little bit (as if you would do a second deal). This also makes it easier to deal the bottom card and (in my opinion) the deal looks less "stiff".

Regarding practice. Try the following: Sail four tops but each time you make contact on the bottom card with your right middle finger. On the fifth card, you now apply pressure to the bottom card and extract and sail it. With the strike bottom deal that you're using, you can make the bottom and the top deal look almost identical. The only thing that changes is that when you want to deal the bottom card, you apply pressure with your middle finger. On the regular top deals you make contact with the bottom card but you do not apply pressure to it. Do this drill very slowly. Video tape yourself and make sure that you maintain a consistent rhythm.

Hope this helps.

Joey

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Gabriel,

I don't think I'm an expert Bottom Dealer but since you asked for my opinion, here is it:

You're obviously struggeling with extracting the bottom card. There can be several different reasons for that but I assume it is a combination of a lack of (proper) practice and issues of the grip that you're using.

If I'm not mistaken you're doing a strike bottom deal (due to the angle I can't tell if there is a slight buckling action). For a strike bottom deal your middle finger is pretty close to the edge of the deck which makes it difficult to extract the bottom card. I would suggest to move the middle finger a little bit closer to your index finger and away from the edge. That way there will be more room for your right middle finger to extract the bottom card. Moreover, try beveling the deck a little bit (as if you would do a second deal). This also makes it easier to deal the bottom card and (in my opinion) the deal looks less "stiff".

Regarding practice. Try the following: Sail four tops but each time you make contact on the bottom card with your right middle finger. On the fifth card, you now apply pressure to the bottom card and extract and sail it. With the strike bottom deal that you're using, you can make the bottom and the top deal look almost identical. The only thing that changes is that when you want to deal the bottom card, you apply pressure with your middle finger. On the regular top deals you make contact with the bottom card but you do not apply pressure to it. Do this drill very slowly. Video tape yourself and make sure that you maintain a consistent rhythm.

Hope this helps.

Joey

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so promptly and with such good information Joey,means a lot to me. Especially someone of your caliber. You probably get this a lot but it's like I practice to no end then I get online to check one of your videos and I am completely shattered..... Keep up the great work dude.

You weren't speaking to me but I humbly offer reference to another user's advice: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/second-deal-problems.58253/#/post-507043

This advice applies to all dealing, in my opinion.

Thanks to you as well @WitchDocIsIn

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Wow, thanks for getting back to me so promptly and with such good information Joey,means a lot to me. Especially someone of your caliber. You probably get this a lot but it's like I practice to no end then I get online to check one of your videos and I am completely shattered..... Keep up the great work dude.

Thanks to you as well @WitchDocIsIn
Although I'm a bit out of shape, here is a demo of the BD drill that I typically use in a practice session.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBskqmwI96H/

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results