Recomendations for Decks Similar to Wynns?

Nov 17, 2014
Hey guys/gals,

I got back into cardistry and flourishing just a few months ago, and have been able to garner up a decent collection of playing cards in the mean time. Since I've started, I've gotten a feel for what types of decks (stock and finishes) feel better with handling, and Bee Wynns are my favorite by a long shot. Aside from eBay, I've found various (very reliable) means of acquiring them, but I've only been able to get my hands on the "Standard Index" style, which as many of you know don't last very long compared to the "Tech Art" version.

My main draw to the cards is their incredibly thick stock and (initially) slick finish. So what I'm wondering is, can any of you recommend a good alternative playing card deck/brand that handles and feels similar to Bee Wynns? I'm not adversed to Kickstarter decks either (I just backed the Black Fontaines because of the incredible things I've heard).

Thank you for any help that can be offered :)

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Sadly, I haven't had the chance to play with Wynns. I have a brown deck, but refuse to open it. However, if you're looking for cards with a thicker stock, I can help you there.

Fulton's clip Joint have a pretty thick stock, and a nice finish. The edges are a little rough, but not too bad. Also Ellusionist decks are notorious for having a thick stock. They are great practice decks for this reason. The Copper Rarebits are pretty snappy too, if you can get your hands on them.

Hopefully some of those will get you close.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Sadly, I haven't had the chance to play with Wynns. I have a brown deck, but refuse to open it. However, if you're looking for cards with a thicker stock, I can help you there.

Fulton's clip Joint have a pretty thick stock, and a nice finish. The edges are a little rough, but not too bad. Also Ellusionist decks are notorious for having a thick stock. They are great practice decks for this reason. The Copper Rarebits are pretty snappy too, if you can get your hands on them.

Hopefully some of those will get you close.

Open the Wynns right now. Enjoy them. They weren't meant to sit on a shelf ;)

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Open the Wynns right now. Enjoy them. They weren't meant to sit on a shelf ;)

I've considered it many times. If I had a second deck, I would open them immediately, but for now I'd rather have a sealed deck in my collection.

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've been able to get my hands on a few Rarebits via. Amazon but I'm refusing to open em' hahaha. I'll try out the Clip Joints, and I've also heard good things about the stock on the Red and Blue Ace Fultons.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
That's kind of a lackluster way of looking at collecting. It's like telling a toy/collector that his sealed, mint condition action figure is worthless because it just "sits around." Yet he could easily sell it for $10,000 on eBay because there is a community of toy collectors who value that item as much as he does. While card collecting is a much smaller community, there is still a perceived value in a deck of Wynns (around $60 for a deck of brown Wynns). Are you telling me you'd pay $60 to play with a deck of Wynns? $500 to play with a Jerry's Nugget? As long as there are people willing to pay that price, they will have that value attached to them.

While I don't plan on selling mine, knowing that a deck of cards I got for free is now worth $60 solely because a community of cardists found them to be exceptional cards, is enough for me to display it proudly in my collection.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I'd say you're both right. I collected Magic: The Gathering and Hot Wheels diecast cars for years.

Yes, the rarer decks CAN have secondary value attached to them. BUT, that only comes into play when you intend to resell them.

In the deck collecting market, it seems like that it's a very niche and slow moving market. I'd imagine he Wynns are going to be sitting on a value of $60 for a long time.
I'd imagine that $60 is a lot in the world of deck collecting. Maybe it's just me coming from a place of higher value collecting. But $60 isn't that much.

I used to HATE collectors. But then came to terms with 'if it wasn't for collectors getting things decades ago, I wouldn't be able to acquire said item today.'

Honestly, I'd say that 90% of collectors do not hold onto their stuff, so you're basically holding onto an item for someone else.

I honestly have no intention of getting Wynns. But you really only have a free deck that's only worth anything corporeal when you want it the least.
Collecting is a funny thing.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
With all due respect, I find collecting useless. There may be value, yes, but it's worthless.

Say I have a rare copy of a book that's no longer in print. A first edition, perhaps. And all it does is sit on my shelf. Maybe it's worth $1,000. So someone out there will want to pay a thousand or more dollars for my book. That's why I never open it and read it. It needs to remain perfect because someone else, who is not me, wants it.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather crack open those pages and absorb the value within.

@MrHurley: Interesting standpoint on collectors. I agree with you, but at that point, it's more or less like a company stocking up and not really collecting.

Jan 28, 2015
I consider myself a playing card collector, however, I'm terrible at it in the sense that when I get new interesting decks I can never leave them alone unless I buy multiple decks which is typically the case. If I buy 3 decks of something, I'll put 2 away and open the other and that satisfies my curiosity. Sometimes I've found myself only having one because a friend sent them to me and I put it away in my box I keep all my cards in and I have no intentions on opening them, but then eventually within a few hours they begin calling my name from inside the box.

"Hey, hey you. Open me! Do it! You know you're dying to! Open me!!!" and then I go through this entire Devil/Angel on my shoulder process weighting out the pros and cons. It should come to no surprise that the Devil always wins and I break down and open them, so I have a lot of interesting decks in my collection but I have handled the majority of them.

Still a few that haven't been opened but that's few and far between.

This is one of my smaller boxes I have cards in, most of these weren't meant to be open, but I couldn't help myself! Haha

UsTR9K8.png

-KZ

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results