Red Teams

Aug 31, 2013
Virginia
Everyone needs a red team. A red team is a group of people who's goal is to poke holes in your trick. They analyze every aspect of the performance and openly critique it. This is the beginning of red teams. If you have a trick that you want people to try and figure out, (particularly a visual one), post it here and take in the suggestions to tweak it to be the best.

Heres one to start with:
http://instagram.com/p/ftBKOtPu1e/

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
First of all I guess I am confused. This isn't "your" effect, but yet a poor performance of someone else's creation. There is no entertainment value at all nor is there any scripting. Why are you asking people to figure out the effect? That's not what magic is about.
Show me yourself going up to a table of people performing this with full presentation and how you would interact with the audience and win them over with your personality and presentation of the said marketed effect. Just my constructive criticism.

Aug 31, 2013
Virginia
It doesn't have to be your own trick but rather your performance. I see people doing different variations of things all the time and like to point the little things out. Now, I always like constructive criticism but for only having 15 seconds to film and with no intentions of having a script, everyone else seemed very entertained by my apparent "poor" performance. I was merely asking people to decide whether I should hold the deck differently or adjust speeds of movement. Personally, I didn't think this snippet would attract criticism but I was trying to give an example.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It doesn't have to be your own trick but rather your performance. I see people doing different variations of things all the time and like to point the little things out. Now, I always like constructive criticism but for only having 15 seconds to film and with no intentions of having a script, everyone else seemed very entertained by my apparent "poor" performance. I was merely asking people to decide whether I should hold the deck differently or adjust speeds of movement. Personally, I didn't think this snippet would attract criticism but I was trying to give an example.

You wanted us to poke holes in your performance. He did.

My input - this isn't a performance, it's showing off. There's nothing here.

You want feedback on hand positioning and such? It's too closed, and you change pace too suddenly when doing the 'move'. You go slow, slow, slow FAST and it's done. Clearly you're covering some sneakiness. You need to equalize the speed to be really convincing. This is a good trick, it doesn't need super fast movements to hide it.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I know people have asked this before, but why does it seem that almost all magicians now have lost their voice's? Why don't so many people speak when they perform a trick?

Aug 31, 2013
Virginia
You wanted us to poke holes in your performance. He did.

My input - this isn't a performance, it's showing off. There's nothing here.

You want feedback on hand positioning and such? It's too closed, and you change pace too suddenly when doing the 'move'. You go slow, slow, slow FAST and it's done. Clearly you're covering some sneakiness. You need to equalize the speed to be really convincing. This is a good trick, it doesn't need super fast movements to hide it.

Ok, thanks. Ill work on speeds and control. I only know the first part of the trick but Ill keep it in mind as I move on.

Aug 31, 2013
Virginia
I know people have asked this before, but why does it seem that almost all magicians now have lost their voice's? Why don't so many people speak when they perform a trick?

For Instagram, I just don't. Most people on Instagram don't because you're limited in the time you have so visual stuff works best.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results