Respecting Your Spectators

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guys,

I wanted to bring up something that I think is extremely important. I want to talk about showing the spectators what they want to see. I think sometimes as magicians we get so caught up in the new trick that is coming out or that great slieght we can't wait to use that we end up missing something very important. What are spectator wants!

Think about how many different times threads have been started to ask what your favorite trick is. I understand why these threads are started. It is because we love talking about what we like to perform but maybe we need to make it less focused on us and more focused on our spectators.

Its so easy to get caught up in learning flourishes and sleights that we forget about the people we are perfomring for. Like Jay Sankey says a little bit of entertaining patter can go a whole lot farther then alot of slick card flourishes.

Different tricks facinate different people. I have had tricks that hit really hard with one set of spectators then get little reaction from others. I think we need to be prepared to bend our routines to suite different spectators. Alot of times we can get so caught up in practicing and learning new tricks that we miss the mark on the the most important thing, making our audience happy.

I believe that is why new material is constantly coming out because different poeple like different things. I remember an older magician once told me "People today want to see something new!" That sums up the point of this whole thread show your spectators what THEY want to see.

I hear tons of begining magicians say something like "I only do card magic" which is understandable because in many ways card magic is eiser then other kinds of magic but to be honest I think most spectators want more. Sure they like card tricks but there is that old phrase "Ask a magician to show you one card trick and he will show you a hundred."

People get tired of seeing the same old card or coin trick over and over they want to see something new. In closing what I am saying is practice hard until you can do your magic perfect. Learn new material. Find out what your audience wants to see and do it. Take the time to find out what your spectator likes and then go out and do it. Respect your audience. Not only will this mean more gigs but it will also mean more happy spectators.

What do you think about this? I will be interested to hear your comments. So post away.

Thanks,

Christian

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
A few key points you mentioned were that it is about the spectator's experience and I completely agree with you. The magician needs to select effects that fit his / her persona / style but are also entertaining.

After performing countless strolling gigs it is obvious that audiences do not want to see more than a few card effects. They like to have a variety thrown at them. This is why I perform with money, rubber bands, small mentalism pieces, some props, etc.

I never open with a card effect at strolling gigs.

New twists can also be applied though to older principles. This is the case with some of the new releases.

Nov 13, 2009
A few key points you mentioned were that it is about the spectator's experience and I completely agree with you. The magician needs to select effects that fit his / her persona / style but are also entertaining.

After performing countless strolling gigs it is obvious that audiences do not want to see more than a few card effects. They like to have a variety thrown at them. This is why I perform with money, rubber bands, small mentalism pieces, some props, etc.

I never open with a card effect at strolling gigs.

New twists can also be applied though to older principles. This is the case with some of the new releases.

Hey Reverhart,

Great response! Thanks. You bring up an interesting point about older effects. I agree with you completly. There have been many times where I have seen an effect and thought "I would never use that I don't think my spectators would like it" Then I see a new revamped version and I love it and use it with great responses from audience members.

So if your spectators don't like a certain trick maybe its not the trick itself maybe its the presentation you have. Once again it all come down to making your spectators happy. Don't just throw something out because it is old and don't use something new just because it is new. Find out what your spectators like and do it.

Thanks again for the great response,

Christian

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really wish I could bring myself to do sponge balls. But they just do NOT fit into the character I want to develop.

I practice the sleights with them, but I never perform with them.

Nov 13, 2009
That's why I still use sponge balls, people laugh, scream, and ask for more when I do my routine with them. They seem a tad cheesy magician, but they just enjoy them so much.

I love sponge balls. They are one of my work horse effects. I use them all the time and spectators love them. That brings up another interesting point. Look for effects that happen in the hands of the spectators these will almost always be well liked and your audience will be happy.

Thanks,

Christian

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I really wish I could bring myself to do sponge balls. But they just do NOT fit into the character I want to develop.

I practice the sleights with them, but I never perform with them.

I do perform a lot with Sponge balls..I even created a routine of mine and trust me...they don`t go with my persona....but eventually you are going to need them..trust me

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I disagree entirely. You can be plenty successful (as in internationally known) without ever using sponge balls.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I disagree entirely. You can be plenty successful (as in internationally known) without ever using sponge balls.

While that is true, I must tell you that one of the best reactions I ever get from my audiences are from the sponge bunnies. (I perform 4 nights a week, 2 shows a night). I don't like bringing them out, but if it makes my customer's happy, then it keeps my bosses happy, which means $ in my back pocket.

Listen, I DO understand what it feels like to not bring out the spongy balls because of the type of character that you are trying to be. But, let us take a look at one magician in particular who in reality, most would think he would NEVER use sponge balls: Eugene Burger. He portrays a dark wizard-like character, yet he has a FANTASTIC sponge ball routine that is worth giving a look at. (Look for his Chicago Session DVDs).

Joshua Messado from Philly has one of THE funniest sponge ball routines I have ever seen. Which, is definately NOT PG rated!

It is all in how you present your magic, using whatever you have available to you. I will NEVER be that top hat and cane wearing magician who produces doves, but I WILL have sponge bunnies with me. :)

Mike

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know that sponge balls/sponge bunnies are super commercial. I know they can be a great trick. But I just cannot fit them into my character. At all. It would be like .... ugh, I'm too tired to come up with a good simile.

Derren Brown never does sponge balls and to my knowledge has never and will never do sponge balls or bunnies. It doesn't fit his character. I have the luxury of being able to take the time to develop a specific character to my liking and only perform what I want to perform. I don't earn my living off of magic, so I can be choosey about what I want to learn and perform. Therefore, I will leave the sponges to others.

Though I will definitely watch a good sponge routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results