Responses to Hecklers and "OMG, How did you do that?!"

Sep 16, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have compiled some responses to the question we face 99% of the time we perform: "How did you do that?". I have also added some responses you can do/say in situation where there may be hecklers. Feel free to add your unique response to "How did you do that?" and your way of handling hecklers.

OMG, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?
- Camera tricks.

- I'm not allowed to tell... look, can you keep a secret? Well so can i.

- If i told ya id have to kill ya! ...So I'm gonna tell you...

- Please, call me Joe.

- I was hoping you could tell me.

- I have far too much time on my hands.

- With style.

- Carefully.

- The same way i can do this (go onto another trick).

- If you believe, no explanation is necessary.

- I'm not quite sure myself.

- Well, Ive been told i have magical fingers...

I KNOW HOW THAT WAS DONE, YOU...

- Yeah thats how its done, i've never been caught before well done, but please, keep it to yourself.

- (very casually) sorry?

- Stop the performance. Leave the group politely.

Sep 2, 2007
Leaving I find is the best way. Because it turns the audience against the heckler.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
How'd you do that?

- Do what? I haven't done anything yet.

- It was all hypnosis.

- Oh... my.... god... that's never happened before...

- Y'know, I keep doing it, and even I can't figure it out.

I know how you... you...

- YouTube is great, huh?

- "Really?"
"Yeah"
"What?"
"Huh?"
"Um....."

- Obviously our eagle eyed friend here can't help but ruin the fun for everyone else... thus, I take my leave.. good night.

Sep 2, 2007
"i didn't do anything, how did YOU do that?"

"cocoa puffs"

bet none of you have used this one before:

"magic"

Aug 31, 2007
This topic has been discussed countless number of times, getting redundant.

ANYWAY, here's one from the late Tommy Wonder:

"I don't know! You know, I had to become a magician to learn how I was doing all of this!"

I like using this for myself:

"It's all a trick! Here, I'll teach you!"

Watch them reel in shock and reject your "exposure".

- harapan. magic!

Someone asking "how did you do that" isn't a heckler. They're simply curious. As for hecklers, I find the best way to answer one is to simply ignore them and not feed their attention, which is what they are ultimately looking for. Too many times have I had a comeback, and they just came right back at me, so I simply said to myself, "I don't need this". Simply staying quiet will embarrass the heck out of the heckler.

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
On hecklers/difficult customers:

The more you perform, approach groups of strangers and make your introductions, the easier it is to spot someone who's going to give you a hard time. Now there are people who will just try and make your life a misery for the fun of it, but most "hecklers" are just very vocal, forceful spectators who are disappointed in your performance.

I make it a habit to establish before I do ANY magic whether anyone in the audience is that type of person, and make sure that that person won't be disappointed - usually, they end up being amongst your loudest fans! I make sure they won't be disappointed by using very strong, almost sleightless material. That way there is no chance you're going to be caught out - because you're not doing anything - and so no way they can be disappointed with you.

I have a set of three card effects which are all very strong and almost sleightless:

Allan Ackerman's Self Working Quick Co-incidence
Quadruple Co-Incidence Deck
Ultimate Marked Deck (Included Effect)

If I sense that the audience is coming over to my side when I'm performing these tricks and I'm confident I can manipulate their attention, I'll branch out into more technically demanding material. If they continue to scrutinise every last move I make I'll use the above effects as a set and it leaves them very impressed. If they're just a bunch of b!"£$%^s, I'll finish the first effect and move on.

The result is that I rarely get heckled these days! And for the "how'd you do that" comments, I like to use the title of one of John Bannon's effects..."I could tell you, but lessons are extra..."

Sep 1, 2007
"I know how you did that! You just..."

-No, no, no, it really is real magic. Trust me, I'm a professional.

-...And it went to sleeve. You know that's basically where everything goes, the bowling balls, the elephants, the cards...

-This is actually based on a marked deck. (When doing coin magic or manipulations etc.)

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
"I know how you did that! You just..."

-No, no, no, it really is real magic. Trust me, I'm a professional.

-...And it went to sleeve. You know that's basically where everything goes, the bowling balls, the elephants, the cards...

-This is actually based on a marked deck. (When doing coin magic or manipulations etc.)

Ha ha. That last one's a funny one! I think the classic "How'd you do that?" is really the highest compliment because they didn't catch anything "fishy" and saw a really well performed trick.

-Matt

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'll use Distortion for example:
*While moving the pips and everyone is freaking out, let your jaw drop and get a look of utmost horror on your face and say* "OH MY GOD! That has NEVER happened before!

Sep 6, 2007
These are a couple of things I say.

How did you do that = Blank face, I fell down the stairs.

I now how you did that = Hey look its my imaginary friend bob. Watch him

dance around like a crazy person.

Hows tricks= Havn't seen him latey / Thats a Cereal crazy.

How many decks of cards do own = I'm sowly dieing on the inside, now you half to stair at them for this, oh its funny.

Can you juggle = Only cats

Have millions,

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Leaving I find is the best way. Because it turns the audience against the heckler.

Ya I agree, besides they deserve it when thing being tough, its already enough you're performing for them. They should be cool and act normal not like an idiot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results