Restaurant gig Help?

Jan 22, 2012
Hello guys,

There is a local restaurant where there is weekly entertainment on Friday's and Saturday's in my town. I was going to ask the manager if I could possibly get one night where I could do table magic to people at the restaurant. And I don't want to ask without getting some help on creating sets and handling the situation. I know the restaurant is open to new entertainment because my friend does music there. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If they already have live music, then why would they want to hire another entertainer? Seems kind of redundant to me. You want to check out places that DON'T have entertainment already.

Jan 22, 2012
If they already have live music, then why would they want to hire another entertainer? Seems kind of redundant to me. You want to check out places that DON'T have entertainment already.
Their live entertainment is off and on. Also it does not seem like there is any on Fridays.

Apr 17, 2013
There are a few books out there. The Magic Menu was a great magazine all about this type of magic. It was one of those things I read every month since I was a full time table hopper in the late 90's. Jamie Grant has a new book out called The Approach. It's basically a text book on how to get your foot in the door. Also over on the green monster there are a few how to guides as well.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If you are working a restaurant I highly recommend this book. It is one of my favorites.
Close Up, The Real Secrets of Magic- David Stone.

With my experience thus far after 14 years of magic, getting into restaurants usually / sometimes takes you "filling" in for another magician who has recommended you. Perhaps a family emergency comes up or they are on vacation. This is where networking with other magicians is huge. You scratch their back, they scratch yours which is okay, as long as you aren't under cutting each other. This is also why I recommend joining your local IBM ring or club if there is one nearby.

Or...sometimes it takes knowing someone who is high up in management. I know that stinks, but it is reality.

Now, what can you do if you don't have a connection with other magicians, an agent, and you don't know the manager or owner of a restaurant? I would try offering your services for one free night for 1 hour when the owner is going to be there and they can see or hear about how well you have done.

Or...here is another plan that has actually worked for me as well. Go into the restaurant that you are hoping to get hired at with a group of your friends. Begin performing magic for your friends (standing up) at your table (but make sure you are out of the way of the restaurant staff and servers or you'll promptly be told to take a seat). 9 Times out of 10, the nearby tables will begin to take interest and begin watching and perhaps clapping. The people at your table should be clapping or reacting as well. This will draw attention to yourself and create some interest. Before long management will see or hear about you and you may be approached so have a business card ready and perhaps 1 or 2 nice effects to show them if they request.

You should have 3 sets of effects on you that all "instantly" reset so that you aren't fumbling around between tables trying to get props set. It doesn't happen nor will you have time. I believe Jamie Grant had a really good thread on restaurant sets. I'lll see if I can find it.

Let me know if you have other specific questions. I don't claim to know everything but am just sharing what has worked for me and what I've seen happen in my area.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results