Restraunt work

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Nice work! I worked in a restaurant for a few years. It is one of the quickest ways to refine your effects.

You can definitely start with just cards. Stuff you know well, and is your strongest.

However, there is a whole world of stuff out there that you can dabble in. I would recommend branching out gradually. Find an effect you think would work well, practice it, then work it into a routine. It keeps things fresh an interesting for the spectators, as well it gets the people who have a stereotype in their head about card tricks being boring, engaged in who you are rather than what you are doing.

I used to use a staple routine that was a silk production/vanish, a card trick, then sponge balls. They were all brought together with the patter to make them flow together. But it was nice because each effect was different and led into the next. And the sponge ball routine I was using had a few mini climax points, so if the food came, I could say thank you and stop at whatever phase I had finished.

Some guys like to use objects on the table, others don't. It's personal preference. I personally don't like intruding too much into their space, but a guy like David Williamson can easily do that and get away with that.

I would recommend that you do a lot of "in their hands" type of effects. Get them involved more than just watching.

Keep your sets short, so you have lots of time to hit all the tables during busy times.

Good luck!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Congratz on the job, use it well. As said above, new routines will be refined quickly and old ones will get the polishing you didn't know they needed. Many restaurant performers say to have 2 routines planned out for any given night. It also helps to have a 'bonus' or encore effect handy for the especially receptive spectators.

Cards should be fine for starting, but eventually find other tricks that you can do. Copper/Silver Transposition tricks are great, they put something in the hands of the spectator and overall aren't sleight-heavy (they have sleight free versions I believe). Sponge balls are wonderful, think about investing in sponge bunnies too (yeah, they're a crowd favorite).

Rubber band tricks (CMH, Stairway, Jacobs Ladder...etc) can be useful too. Many performers use Ring and String material that has 3 or 4 phases. Each strong enough to be the end of the routine (in case of food).

Just a few things, I'm at work and need to get busy (sounds so bad...) :)

I would take a look at The Magic Menu, which can be purchased here. There is also a 6-10, also sold at penguin.

Also take a look at David Stone's book Close-Up:The Real Secrets of Magic. It has a lot of practical advice (and is cheaper than the Magic Menu) and tips for working in restaurants.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results