Review - 5 Speed by Chris Kenner

Apr 28, 2008
Review - Five Speed by Chris Kenner

Description

A card is freely selected, lost in the deck, and shuffled by the spectator. Finding the selection under these conditions seems impossible, yet the selected card is found in a twisted, unexpected way.

Difficulty

I found this effect to be surprisingly easy to learn, it doesn't use any difficult sleights and you should be able to easily learn it within an hour of practice. Something to keep in mind is that it is not completely impromptu and does require a small setup that can't really be done in front of spectators.

Explanation

The method is very clever and completely fooled me and will undoubtedly do the same for your audiences.
This effect is very easy to learn, the teaching is broken down into 4 steps with a recap at the end of sections that have a lot to remember, these sections are very useful when practicing. Chris Kenner covers everything you need to know and also makes the video entertaining to watch.

In the video Chris Kenner throws the cards in the air at the end of the trick, this is not going to work for most people in real life and spectators will most likely want to look at the 3 of Spades that has turned into their selection and they will be able to do this. However, you'll need to do something if you want to hand out the other cards, although I don't think it is likely that audiences will want to look at them.

One thing I found slightly annoying during the explanation was the camera, it never stays still and is constantly moving, while this won't affect your learning of this effect it does become quite annoying, especially on repeat viewings. However, this is just something that bothered me personally, you may not really notice it at all.

Price

I'm not sure that the price of $12.95 is entirely justified, i assume it is because this 1 on 1 is 26 minutes long, however it doesn't seem very logical that because an effect takes longer to teach it is worth more. I think $9.95 would be a more appropriate price.

Overall

I think this is a great trick and i will definitely be using it very soon, however, I think paying a bit more and buying Totally out of Control may be a better use of your money.

Apr 28, 2008
Yes it is, although from the descriptions of the effect in TOOC I believe the handling may be slightly different, but with the book and from watching the 1 on 1 performance you could quite easily work out the small changes and perform it as shown in the 1 on 1.

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, in TOOC they have the 3 turn into a joker. But, as said, this can easily be modified to having it change to their selection.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Squirrel.. the price is because the ''power'' of the routine.. this isnt like invisible reverse or something like that.. I think the price is cheaper considering the routine

Hope you get it,

Aris

Apr 28, 2008
Squirrel.. the price is because the ''power'' of the routine.. this isnt like invisible reverse or something like that.. I think the price is cheaper considering the routine

Hope you get it,

Aris

I understand that a more powerful routine will cost more, whch is why I suggested the price of $9.95 as opposed to the $4.95 of tricks such as invisible reverse. In my opinion $12.95 is just a bit too much when it can be found in a book for $40 containing many routines.
I don't regret buying it and i'm sure I will get a lot of use from it I just think the price was a little too high. To me, it didn't stand out as being more powerful than other $9.95 1 on 1's such as Missing Link which is why I assumed the extra cost was because of the length. If you feel that it is worth it then fair enough, I guess we just disagree on how much 'power' the effect has.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
this is by far my favorite 1 on 1 so far
hard hitting little routine, with some comedy and the fact that to your spectators, you "messed up"
yet at the end they get slapped in the face

Very ingenious routine.

Nov 30, 2007
this is by far my favorite 1 on 1 so far
hard hitting little routine, with some comedy and the fact that to your spectators, you "messed up"
yet at the end they get slapped in the face

Very ingenious routine.

Ha Ha, slapped in the face.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results