Review: Blue Ice Deck

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
As a newspaper editor and former page designer, I know from experience that eye-catching design isn't always good design. Such is the case with Magic Makers' Blue Ice Deck. With better design, it could be a serviceable deck for magicians and flourishers alike. Unfortunately, this deck is useless for any magician who would want to place a card upside-down in the deck, all because the company thought a boldly-designed deck would be just as good as a well-designed deck.

The deck is just as thick as Ellusionist's Masters, a little thicker than E's Ghosts and a little thinner than T11's Guardians. But the finish is not as good as any of those decks. There's a little bit of zip between the cards -- they still glide and fan decently, but for the price, not as well as other decks. Still, they perform better than Bikes, because of their thickness. They have a good spring and are more durable.

The deck of 56 cards comes with more gaff cards, too. In an admirable move, Magic Makers has sacrified promotion for functionality. Gaffers will appreciate the blank-faced card, a white ace of spades and a double-faced ace, which facilitate printing-press illusions. There's only one joker, but the other cards make up for that.

Sadly, all the good intentions come crashing down when one simply looks at the deck.

The deck's back looks like a blue Rider back, with the traditional white border. The faces are full-bleed blue. The shade of blue reminds me of the water pools at miniature golf courses. It's a bright, thick, royal blue that draws the eye. The pips are depicted in red and white and the face cards are a mess of clashing color, as if the ghost of Andy Warhol took control of the presses at the U.S. Playing Card Company. The result is that the cards resemble eye tests to check for color blindness.

The full bleed, which Magic Makers geeks out over in their advertisements, destroys any ability to hide an upside-down card in the deck. That means sandwich tricks, Braue reversals, Shapeshifter, Aaron Fisher's No. 96, Tivo 2.0 and many other effects will be revealed before your audience's eyes. Major disappointment. Flourishers will love the opportunities for contrasting, however.

The deck means well. In fact, it has a lot in common with those pools of water at the mini-golf course: It's probably functional, likely versatile, but too nauseating and hideous to contemplate such possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 5, 2008
Wow those cards are nauseating. Who would look at the proofs and still give the go ahead? yuck!

###lazydog

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
By my measurements, no. Guardians are thicker than Masters.

LOL!

Well...I can't believe that you actually bought that deck...I probably wouldn't even use that deck to......never mind I'd rather not get in trouble.

-Brad

PS: and I can't believe that you could insult Warhol like that...even he wouldn't be bold enough to make a deck like that!

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I noticed they also had purple, yellow, black, and red. Personally, I think they all look fugly, but I guarantee there are plenty of people that will just love these. To each their own but for me the way the colors are it kind of hurts my eyes a little looking at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2007
These decks are TERRIBLE! We sell them at the magic shop I work at. I hate them. The finish is so bad. They feel awful, and fan atrociously. Even if you think they look good its really not worth it. Plus its Magic Makers... why would you ever buy anything from them?! Everything that they sell is a piece of crap corny rendition of a trick that they stole and repackaged.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results