Review Vest Pocket Razor Blades and Bizzaro's Helter Shelter

Jul 13, 2009
Hello,

I just got a very cool illusionete called the "Vest Pocket Razor Blades"

Let me start off with telling you a little about the effect. Have you ever wanted to demonstrate your true freakishness, and haven't been satisfied with the conventional methods such as: Nailing a nail into your head, Eating glass, Smashing a Steel can on your finger. The problem with these effects is that some are not practical nor safe to do on the street err everywhere.

The "Vest Pocket Razor Blades" will help you bring out your inner freakishness in a safer manner. With this device you will be able to swallow five sharp razor blades. Then decide to save your poor soul by swallowing a length of thread and having your tongue and throat muscle carefully regurgitate the blades back up while your tongue ties each blade to the string.

Ladies will love your talented tongue... <,< >,> if you got that it is not my fault, blame your parents or hormones.

Back on the topic, that is pretty much the entire effect.

When I opened the card board packaging for this thing, it looked a bit
"Made in China" toy company cheap. But I was very surprised when I opened the package to find an incredibly sturdy holder. The gimmick works very well and looks like it will hold up longer then I will live.

It comes with ten blades, but do not go will nilly and pull them all out and mix them in a hat; I am unfortunately guilty of that. Some of the blades come pre-dulled just for you even pre-tied. I had to remove the thread and replace it with the upholstery thread that I use.

You will need to provide the black thread, and any extra things you want to add to the effect; Blood (Red koolaid, Ben Nye blood Capsules), I use a bottle of vinegar or rubbing alcohol bottle to drink on stage, I know a certain performer who uses lemon juice *puckers* I could do that I dislike sour and not to mention the burn of the cuts you may get from this effect.

To conclude about the Vest Pocket Razor Blades, if you do a street show, street magician, stage, parlor, closeup, whatever, and enjoy having a little weird in your show then this is the effect to get. It is incredibly simple in method and practically does all the work for you.

Now I am putting this in color because it is very important. This effect is like a mentalist performance, you may know how to do a center tear perfectly but if your presentation sucks, your audience will be bored and therefore feel that the effect is sub-par or worse the magi is sub-par. This goes for many of the geek MAGIC tricks out there. PRESENTATION PRESENTATION PRESENTATION it is something I can not stress enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have been performing the razor blade illusion for about two years now and have since moved onto a razor routine which has no holders other then the dispenser and the actual very sharp blades in the mouth. I bought this because some times you want an effect that looks bigger then it actually is, also I watched the DVD by Bizzaro called "Helter Shelter"

I highly suggest you purchase this dvd if you are wanting to learn everything you need to know about doing the razor blade illusion. I meant it too EVERYTHING that you need to know about the set up, props, and presentation he goes into detail with. Also you may get tired of seeing the reveal over and over again but it is worth it in the end for all the blasted information.

In the dvd a couple of bonus effects are in there as well like Linking Razor Blades.
Your magical tongue works its magic on three razors causing them to link in your mouth as if by magic. The other effect that I didn't really like all that much was the vanishing razor blade. I did this effect once and had to go to the hospital, the vanish was outstanding but I had turned into a suicidal cutter. But it was all good the vanish is clean and can add more to the effect.

All in all if you want to do the Razor blade illusion, buy these both they are pretty cheap for what you are getting and pay for themselves in the long run, because this effect is a reputation maker.

Jan 10, 2008
Great review, and you have just sold me on the Bizzaro Helter Shelter DVD. I've been looking at it on his site for about a year debating, but now i'm definitely picking one up. Just be careful with those Razor Blades! :D

Sincerely,
David

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results