Ridiculous question about flash paper

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
First of all, this is the first time since I have been in Magic that I have considered the usage of flash paper.

I have thought of a routine...more line an 'anti routine';

I have a cigarette made completely out of rolled up flash paper (I am assuming this can be done). I present the trick as being able to make a lot cigarette disappear and reappear in my other hand.

To which the cigarette gets lit and completely goes up in flames.

Here's my question. It's in regards to safety.

How fast is the reaction of flash paper? Would I have any time to react and try and drop the cigarette from my mouth from being burned? Also, if I were to be burned by it, how bad would it be...approximately. Not shooting to get burned, but I want to know what could be in my future.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Flash paper is fun! The burn is different depending on humidity and each piece burns a little differently as well.

The flame isn't as hot as you might think but it is still hot. You can light other things on fire with the flame, it's not extremley easy though.

I wouldn't have the paper in my mouth while I lit it but you could probably get away with it. For a cigarette vanish you will be using a lot of flash paper, which will create a large flame. The tube shape might change the dynamics as well.

I think you could make a cigarette out of the stuff. I'd use some flash cotton to add some stability. Not sure what kind of glue would be best, perhaps wax?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
depending on humidity

Dry flashpaper is usually QUICK. The flame travels up the paper and consumes it in a heartbeat.

Humid flashpaper burns slowly and methodically. I've seen a 3" long piece of flash paper that was humid take 3-4 seconds to be consumed.

Get your flash paper, make your cigarette, and set it somewhere safe (metal bowl, maybe?). Try lighting it. Get used to that speed, and work on your timing based on that. I'd always test a small piece before your performance too, just to make sure it is burning as expected.

I (used to) frequently hold flash paper in my hand, a small amount, and light it there. I've never had an issue dropping it without being burned. You sorta get used to that timing. Close to your face you will need to exercise more caution, obviously, but I wouldn't expect issues. The flame usually doesn't stick around long enough to make anything else hot.

// L

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Thanks for the help, gentlemen!

About an hour ago, I found a video of someone using actual flash paper cigarettes (they have them for sale on Penguin). They burn too slow for a 'surprise' effect. It sounds like I'd just need some flash cotton (where the filter would be) for structure and wrap one skinny & long piece of flash paper in a cylinder in order to go from light-*poof*-OW!

As for an adhesive, I'm guessing that saliva won't do it. Looks like I'll need ti get some flash paper and flash cotton and experiment.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Oct 19, 2015
Brett,
Didn't your parents tell you not to play with fire?.....Just kidding, but be careful this sounds dangerous, especially that different humidity can change the speed of the burn...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results