Right or Left handed?

Aug 31, 2012
UK
Hey guys, this is my first post here :)

I've been practicing/performing magic for around 8 months now and i have NEVER seen anyone else hold the deck/cards in their right hand.

Is this just me?

I am right handed and always hold my mechanics grip in my right hand.

I'm just finding it really hard to learn new flourishes via tutorials on here and others on YouTube.

I know the majority of the world are right handed, but am i holding them wrong?

Thanks, Elliott.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I'm left handed and I hold the deck in my left hand. What's messed up about that is that I have to overhand shuffle into my right hand.

Dec 29, 2011
Well technically, yes you are holding them wrong. It is the standard to hold them in your non dominant hand, but there are plenty of left handed cardists and magicians, it doesn't really make a difference.

Jan 16, 2012
georgia
lately I have been trying to use both hand when i practice once in my left then once in my right and man its hard. Im right handed but i think I need to learn more control with my left but i believe you should go with what ever feel right to you.

Sep 8, 2012
When I first started learning card magic, I learned swing cuts, shuffles and one-handed cuts. Then I realised I have been doing these with the wrong hand XD. So it took me about 2 weeks to relearn all the moves in the proper hands.

Jan 6, 2012
I'm left-handed and hold the cards in my right hand. This means that I'm always having to switch the tutorials around as well, which is a bit extra work, but usually not a major issue once you get the hang of it. But, occasionally a trick will require handling in the left hand, and those tricks I usually have to learn opposite-handed. For example, tricks that make use of the card indexes in the upper left-hand corner typically have to be done right-handed. It's usually not a problem, but it does force me to be a bit creative about switching the deck to the other hand. In general, I'd say just use whatever hand you're most comfortable with.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you hold the cards in your right hand then that is left handed.

It's not bad it's just different. Eric Jones is left handed and I'm sure there are others as you can see above.

RKMagic

Elite Member
May 14, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys, this is my first post here :)

I've been practicing/performing magic for around 8 months now and i have NEVER seen anyone else hold the deck/cards in their right hand.

Is this just me?

I am right handed and always hold my mechanics grip in my right hand.

I'm just finding it really hard to learn new flourishes via tutorials on here and others on YouTube.

I know the majority of the world are right handed, but am i holding them wrong?

Thanks, Elliott.

I too am right handed but hold a deck in my right hand. To me, it's just more comfortable and natural. It doesn't mess up my card tricks or cardistry, I just need to adjust handlings. NBD.

Jun 25, 2008
Same here. Right handed, and I hold the deck with my right. Its just something I've learned to live with. It makes teaching people harder though, because they can't directly follow my example

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results