Ring On String At Weddings(?)

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
Hey guys,

Soon I'm performing at a wedding (my first) where I plan to do all of my a-list material as per usual. The thing is, I perform Ring on String an awful lot and I was wondering if it's appropriate to borrow a ring off of the newly wedded couple. Since they just received their rings a couple of hours before the time I'm performing, i think that they may feel slightly hesitant to let me use their ring in a routine, especially the bride. But then again, they may go along with it just to see some good magic.

I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Do you believe it will be a problem to borrow one of the couple's rings to use in a routine?

Thanks,
Josh

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
Ask them a head of time. It is not secret that they will be getting rings so just ask if they would be up for using one in a special routine. Much less awkward than having them say no as you are ready to preform.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Ask them a head of time. It is not secret that they will be getting rings so just ask if they would be up for using one in a special routine. Much less awkward than having them say no as you are ready to preform.

Maybe that. However, I wouldn't do it under no circumstances (unless, for some reason, they ask you to do something with their ring). Just borrow a ring from someone else and do it in front of the newly weds, if you really want them to see it. However I wouldn't ask them for their ring, I believe it's not appropriate, but may be just me. Just perform Anniversary Waltz for them, that is always good.
Also, one point on AW, don't try to be the priest in the actual wedding. Don't go "and now you are joined forever together like these two cards" or anything like that. It may come off as a mocking the priest who did the wedding. It's funny if they are already married for years, but for newly weds is a no-no.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've seen a few very tasteful things done magically during a wedding, such as the "Priest" using a Himber ring and doing linking finger rings as a metaphor that explains the purpose of a marriage (ironically, it was @ a Gay Wedding). . . if you could create patter that allows your routine to celebrate the nuptials then I think you'll have something people will want to experience and your bookers could more readily pitch, so you may want to think about it. . . I'd suggest you look at the idea of using other things, like the Gypsy Thread, so as to continue with said theme. . . with the thread you can describe the trials of marriage and how they can take you to a breaking point and yet, with faith you can allow those things to form your relationship into a stronger union . . . for example. I'm certain there are other bits that could be done along this path.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results