RJRTC 'Watermelon' Bees: Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I bought a brick of these cards recently; I’ve been playing with them for a few weeks.
Well, here is my opinion... :D

They are very attractive cards, right down to the tuck case, which is black and has only the back design on both sides and the four suits in yellow along the edges and top.

Like I said, the cards themselves look awesome. I think because all the color... only the borders are white and the yellow just does it for me. IMO, no deck looks better than this. The fronts? Nothing special, regular faces and bee ace of spades and jokers. The red pips are slightly, I mean slightly, lighter red than on bikes. You’d only be able to notice with a side-by-side comparison though.

Let’s get down to the feel though. Like I said, there is next to no information about the cars on the box, so I assume these are cambric finish, same as regular bees. Out of the box they are very stiff, fan... (wait for it) fan like butter :p. Very slippy, as most new decks are. The edges were really rough out of the box, more so than most cards. Farrows effortlessly.

I fell in love with these cards... and every time I picked up the deck they just got better. After about a week of use, these cards just got... unbelievable. Stills fanned perfectly, great for cuts, springs, anything! You name it! Using them is an experience... indescribable. I’ll try though... if you took awesomeness and condense it and pack it soooo tight it manifests itself physically; you’d get a deck of RJRTC ‘Watermelon’ Bees.

IMO Better than Tally-Hos, and, after some comparison and consideration, beats out (dare I say it) ...Splitspades in feel.

And after a few weeks of extensive use they show no sign of dieing anytime soon.

Now... my favourite back design yet, coupled with my favourite feel of any deck. Add in the fact that they are out of print... NOOOOOOooooo! Why!? Life is unfair.

I will savor them for as long as I can, but my underlying point behind this: Why can’t any custom deck be like this? I mean design-wise? Everyone is sick of the dark decks, if any company made something with a design as bright, pretty, and happy as the Watermelons, I couldn’t imagine how many people would jump on them, they’re losing money! :p K, think about it.

Glad I got some while I could, looking to buy more where I can. So back off of my ‘melons! :p
*sigh*...maybe the perfect deck? Who knows. :D

Nov 10, 2007
I mainly just want to see what they look like, can you link me a picture I searched and did not see any pictures.

Sep 1, 2007
Aw, you guys missed the best picture of them:

Because they are just that goooood. :p

Hahahaha nice picture.

I personally don't care for the design, but if they handle nice I wouldn't mind grabbing some IF THEY STILL WERE IN PRINT! ):

May 9, 2008
Hey maybe he searched "Watermelon bees" which really is just a nickname for these cards. I got a really good deal on ebay a while back 10 decks (5 blue, 5 red) for $85. Each 2 decks came with a velvet bag to hold them. I've opened 1 blue deck, gave 1 red deck to my brother. I've got 8 left. They are very nice cards! I think they have Aristocrat stock. In my opinion they feel a lot like S&Ms, maybe a tad thicker due to ink.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
It's been a while now since I've had these cards... using them quite often and still not degrading at all!
Perfect fans, faros, stiffness and feel!
I've applied fanning powder to the deck twice in it's life.

Sep 20, 2008
To be honest, everytime i hear 'Watermelon' my Mouth waters. Sounds like a Piaget Conditioning experiment.

Love to get my hands on these bad boys though.

Sep 7, 2007
Hey guys,

I know I am bringing up an old thread but you can pick these up for under $12.00 a deck now. If you are interested, PM me and I will forward you a link where you can pick these up (NOT EBAY).

I don't want this post to be considered spam, so I am leaving out any type of advertisements.

--

I have handled both Red/Blue of these, and I must say, they look stunning. The stock appears to be standard Bee stock (Bee 92).

If anyone has any questions regarding these decks I would be more then happy to answer what I can.

Cheers,

Nov 25, 2016
I bought a brick of these cards recently; I’ve been playing with them for a few weeks.
Well, here is my opinion... :D

They are very attractive cards, right down to the tuck case, which is black and has only the back design on both sides and the four suits in yellow along the edges and top.

Like I said, the cards themselves look awesome. I think because all the color... only the borders are white and the yellow just does it for me. IMO, no deck looks better than this. The fronts? Nothing special, regular faces and bee ace of spades and jokers. The red pips are slightly, I mean slightly, lighter red than on bikes. You’d only be able to notice with a side-by-side comparison though.

Let’s get down to the feel though. Like I said, there is next to no information about the cars on the box, so I assume these are cambric finish, same as regular bees. Out of the box they are very stiff, fan... (wait for it) fan like butter :p. Very slippy, as most new decks are. The edges were really rough out of the box, more so than most cards. Farrows effortlessly.

I fell in love with these cards... and every time I picked up the deck they just got better. After about a week of use, these cards just got... unbelievable. Stills fanned perfectly, great for cuts, springs, anything! You name it! Using them is an experience... indescribable. I’ll try though... if you took awesomeness and condense it and pack it soooo tight it manifests itself physically; you’d get a deck of RJRTC ‘Watermelon’ Bees.

IMO Better than Tally-Hos, and, after some comparison and consideration, beats out (dare I say it) ...Splitspades in feel.

And after a few weeks of extensive use they show no sign of dieing anytime soon.

Now... my favourite back design yet, coupled with my favourite feel of any deck. Add in the fact that they are out of print... NOOOOOOooooo! Why!? Life is unfair.

I will savor them for as long as I can, but my underlying point behind this: Why can’t any custom deck be like this? I mean design-wise? Everyone is sick of the dark decks, if any company made something with a design as bright, pretty, and happy as the Watermelons, I couldn’t imagine how many people would jump on them, they’re losing money! :p K, think about it.

Glad I got some while I could, looking to buy more where I can. So back off of my ‘melons! :p
*sigh*...maybe the perfect deck? Who knows. :D
Hey! So I know this thread is like ancient but I actually just picked up 7 of these decks today, never opened that I found sitting on a bottom shelf of a gas station as well as a set of the red and a set of blue bee dice I'm looking to find some buyers if anyone is interested, must have been on that shelf for the past ten years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results