Routine Almost Complete

Feb 5, 2010
ok i have a good start on a new routine using the tricks mindbender, spin, and control. and i think i have a good patter for it. I was thinking of using the patter of "our minds can do incredible things. most people dont realize it. But if i where to focus enough i could do near impossible stuff." then i go on to say to preform mindbender, and so on using the patter of if we focus enough we can do the impossible.

What do you all think of this routine idea.

Apr 1, 2009
California
It could just be me and my own personal style. but that seems like over kill. Spin and Control, (not too familiar with Mindbender) fall under those "here, let me try something... not sure if it will work) type of effects, then you proceed to absolutely slay your audience. If you are the type of magician that can pull off Control to it's full impact, are you trying to start a religion here? When it comes to PK effects and pulse stops, etc... I like to lead the audience to assume in their minds already that I'm able to do that already, without even doing it. then perform something in the end. After some mental stuff, a card effect or two. Whatever you prefer. I just wouldn't go boom boom boom with these powerful effects. To me, creating a routine in magic is a lot like orchestrating and composing a symphony. You don't want to go full throttle you need to let the audience create images in their head. ideas. assumptions. let them battle themselves a little bit before you kill them off with these firework finale here. Just my opinion... hopefully it sounded clear enough.

Feb 5, 2010
mindbender is when you bend a card with your "mind" and i can see where you are coming from with it being overkill. i could always take out control and put in stigmata or infinity bend

Apr 1, 2009
California
I was just thinking about an important point that Wayne Houchin made in the Control DVD. He was talking about the necessary build up for Control. It seemed almost as if they milked this effect all evening in order to get the reaction they did. That is how I believe you must go about these powerful effects. That's how magic goes from the audience seeing this as you learning something cool, to being able to do something extraordinary. So with that said, imagine having to milk all three of these effects in such a manner. And also consider, if you milk the first, you will have to work extra hard to get the next effect the response it deserves. It's like having the best cheesecake in the entire world... then having ten more plates of it.

Feb 5, 2010
What else do you have down?
i have down x finger ( a fav of mine at a party)
indentation- i borrow a dime from someone and punch a dent into the dime(my own effect.)
slink
crazy mans cuffs
card to mouth
infusion
jacobs ladder

Feb 5, 2010
I was just thinking about an important point that Wayne Houchin made in the Control DVD. He was talking about the necessary build up for Control. It seemed almost as if they milked this effect all evening in order to get the reaction they did. That is how I believe you must go about these powerful effects. That's how magic goes from the audience seeing this as you learning something cool, to being able to do something extraordinary. So with that said, imagine having to milk all three of these effects in such a manner. And also consider, if you milk the first, you will have to work extra hard to get the next effect the response it deserves. It's like having the best cheesecake in the entire world... then having ten more plates of it.

i can see your point.

i can't really comment on it now, why??? some may say its overkill others may say its really kool. I'll say let me see in in performance or a mock versio of it and then i can check its fluidness and see what i think, but as far as now..it sounds good, but sounding and being good is two different things...sorry i wasn't much help...

ok i have a good start on a new routine using the tricks mindbender, spin, and control. and i think i have a good patter for it. I was thinking of using the patter of "our minds can do incredible things. most people dont realize it. But if i where to focus enough i could do near impossible stuff." then i go on to say to preform mindbender, and so on using the patter of if we focus enough we can do the impossible.

What do you all think of this routine idea.
i don't think always combining effect are the most effective things to do, what i have been known to do is take an effect, "cut it up" (learn all the indivual moves for each sole purpose) and add a part to the effect making it totally different) and perform them....

today i blew people away with oz pearlman's blindsided, i was in class and the instructor basically told me that what i did could be acheived by anyone and said that i'm a fraud. of course there was a bit of resentment towards her. she said she studied everything there is for a magician to know and she challenged me to do anything and she was going to reveal. Of course i did some simple changes which she guessed correctly and revealed...

so it was the perfect setup, i did the twirl change which she didn't know what had really happened. i told her that i was gonna help her not only change the fronts but also changed the backs....i gave her the newly changed card and she obviously saw the the front was changed, but not the backs. I instructed her to sandwhich her hands on one card as will i do the entire blue deck....i said to believe in your mind that its going to change, when both of our hands were removed, she still had the blue card...

she then found out that there is a difference between a "magician" and a normal person. my entire deck was now red....not blue.....

that wasn't the kicker, i signed her card for it to be keepsake, i then said ohh i forgot and changed her card with my sig still signed....i just walked away and left her with her mouth open...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results