Routine?

Sep 8, 2007
Wisconsin
I feel so stupid. I've been in magic for a 4-5 months now, and I don't exactly know what a routine is. Does it mean just a bunch of tricks strung together, or could it just be one kind of trick? :confused:

I feel so stupid. I've been in magic for a 4-5 months now, and I don't exactly know what a routine is. Does it mean just a bunch of tricks strung together, or could it just be one kind of trick? :confused:
A routine is more than just tricks strung together. It's how you present them, it's how the flow with each other. You could have one "effect" as a routine, such as a 3 Fly or Silver Dream, those are coin routines. They are mixing different tricks and moves to create a flowing piece of magic.

You will always just have a bunch of "tricks" thrown together if you think about it that way. You have to work on your routine and perform it with conviction. There are some wonderful articles about routinizing around the web. You might want to find some :).

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
to me a routine is, like stated before, is a series of tricks or steps to a trick that all flow together perfectly. If you do a routine with cards, for example, you want to look for a nic opener and a nice closer. For the opener, you want to start with something quick and visual, such as here then there. As for the closer, find something that hits hard and leaves your spectator speechless, something that will make them remember you. And in between you can throw in anything that flows well with what your working with, such as your own ambitious card routine.

Hope this helps

VJ

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
A routine, IMHO, is a series of effects that flow from one to another.

Example Routine (3 Effects):
-------------------------------------------------------
Place a mystery card off to the side.

Transpositionings (DB2). For this I actually use the Kings instead of Aces, why, because using kings is beneficial in the following routines. But this effect introduces the Kings and slightly involves their selection, and is also very visual, great for an opener.

The Visitor (Larry Jennings). Now you actually use their selection, and the kings, for a super neato effect.

Your Signed Card (Bro. John Hamman). The climax. This brings the routine full circle, having a "call-back" to the Mystery Card from the beginning. And overall is a Knockout effect.
-------------------------------------------------------

Routines are great to practice because instead performing single tricks and then having to think about your next effect, you already have one on hand.

Sep 10, 2007
I agree with those above.

Don't feel stupid. I mean, you've only done magic for a little while. As you may find out, 3-4 months is almost like nothing. Plus, I'd say that in a little bit, you might lose a bit of interest in magic (although, this is what I call the test of faith. Everyone goes through it. You first lose interest, and then you come back, much more enthusiastic).

Think of simple little routines, and not such complicated ones so far. I mean, I've done magic for a loooong time (even longer than I originally thought), and I JUST started to create an ambitious card routine...

Think of a routine as pieces of a puzzle, or a story. In most cases, this is true, in which the effects are related to a story. In other cases, they are not really related, but they range in amazement. Kind of like a dinner. First the appetizer, then the .....erm...well, not the main course just yet. Maybe something else a bit more powerful, and THEN comes the main course, the thing that the spectator will remember.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results