Routining flourishes

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
Hi I am really interested in flourishing. I currently have about 5 more flourishes to learn of of the system, then I am going to start tackling the trilogy. I'd like to know how others practice their flourishes. Is there something that you watch or listen to that helps you practice. How do you go about routining your flourishes? And does anyone incorporate them into their tricks so that the trick and the flourish are the trick? Just a few pondering I have thanks.

For practicing. A place where dropping cards isn't a problem, some place with carpet and stuff. Music is always good as it provides inspiration but mix it up from time to time something you could dance to is music I always practice to. Practice everyday, at least 10 solid minutes is enough to sustain your ability if you have a really busy schedule.

As for routineing, there are two schools of thought, incorporate them when you want and use it as spice, or do not mix them at all and treat flourishes as their own thing. Just go with one or the other school of thought.

Magic you don't want people burning your hands with their eyes so intently cause you need to be able to misdirect them at a given moment for an effect to be doable or have maximum impact. With flourishes and manipulation you WANT them looking at every detail, from the number of packets, to the evenly spaced cards, everything. So you want them to be paying as much attention as possible.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Magic you don't want people burning your hands with their eyes so intently cause you need to be able to misdirect them at a given moment for an effect to be doable or have maximum impact. With flourishes and manipulation you WANT them looking at every detail, from the number of packets, to the evenly spaced cards, everything. So you want them to be paying as much attention as possible.

I believe that is the biggest distinction between the two, as one you dont want people to see what you are doing while the other one is puurly for eye candy. i have seen people do some mixing stuff but truth be told, they are better seperated. sometimes you see the big name magicians perform some flourishes alongside their patter, but those are done in a very casual and funny kind of way to release tension and not used as a part of the performance itself.

anywayz back to routining, alot of dan/dave flourishes in the system end's and start with the sybil opening. you can always combine those together. i believe that is how routining usually goes, see what flourishes can connect other ones, and if not find an extra move to make it happen, and eventually add some music in to the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
this is actually a VERY good question to be asking, medic91w.

if you want the #1 pros best material on the subject, you can go to www.flourishman.com and check out the "DVD" section, he just released the third companion DVD (costs $30) that has an entire section on routining flourishes.

I find that flourishes CAN definitely complement a magic trick, do a one handed shuffle to show that the cards are mixed up, do a nice pressure fan or an armspread to display all the cards and show that it's not a "trick deck" or a forcing deck or something along those lines (but don't use the words, "force deck" with a layman audience)

anyways going on, do a giant fan and allow them to "pick a card" from the outer ring... riffle down the pack in dealer position and when they say "stop", do a hotshot cut to pick their card (you can catch it without seeing the face very easily)

now, Dan and Dave's flourishes are a little different because it simply does not make SENSE to a layman to "cut the deck" into FOURTEEN DIFFERENT PACKETS and balance one on your chin, or something. however there is some comedy material to be had there such as "let me make sure the cards are REALLY well mixed up" or something...

anyways the bottom line is, you have to determine for yourself how you would like to present your magic. some flourishers/magicians around here will tell you NEVER mix the two, for example Ineski, a very highly skilled card man, will say to even handle the cards kind of sloppy when doing magic :(

it's totally up to you!

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
Thank you

Hey thanks guys you've definitely helped me out. I checked out the flourishman and I think I'm going to get his DVDs; I had no idea there was an encyclopedia just for flourishes! Hurray!

Sep 1, 2007
if you're getting the DVDs, you might as well get the book too! the DVDs do not teach all the flourishes, they just demonstrate what's in the book.

however by watching the DVDs you can probably figure out a lot of stuff, but it's a really good book too :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results