Royal Oil - A Creativity Challenge

Discussion in 'Magic Forum' started by Rev, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Hi Everyone...it's card trick time!

About four years ago I read a great oil and water style trick in Karl Fulves 'Foolproof Card Tricks' that was so good it fooled even me the first few times I tried it! This got the mind cogs whirring and I set about trying to build a self-working oil and water routine based on the Fulves idea. At the time I was relatively new to the whole 'creating' game and the results were, shall we say, less than satisfactory!

However, after many revisions and over four year later, I finally have something I'm relatively happy with.

Now, I don't really want to get into a debate about whether the oil and water plot is commercial or not. This was more of an academic and artistic exercise for me. A way to stretch the creative muscles. Therefore, I did set myself some criteria:

- No gaffs
    - No extra cards
    - Each phase must end clean (i.e no hiding cards of the wrong colour with Elmsley/Olram counts!)
    - Spectator must mix the cards for the final phase
    - Kicker ending

Obviously there were going to be trade offs. The routine is not entirely self-working and the 'spectator mixing' part is a little restrictive, but other than that I am relatively happy with it.

Anyway, enough rambling. The video is below, let me know what you all think!

Thanks All

Rev

wildwildcat likes this.
  2. That's a ton of fun, it fooled me.

3. I have to say that I've never enjoyed an Oil & Water effect as much as I did this one!
    Your patter was in sync with your actions and the kicker was surprising. Well done!

4. I'm blushing...

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like it.

Rev