Royal Road to Card Magic: Book or DVD?

Jan 3, 2008
Now, I know that the whole Book-vs.-DVD is neverending and has many good supports from both sides. However, this topic is asking about a specific product in general: The Royal Road To Card Magic.

Now, I already know a couple of simple, cool card tricks, but that's just it: a couple. So I wanted to get RRTCM so that I will be able to build a very strong foundation for card magic; because I still consider myself a beginner. (One that knows alot about the magic world, just not enough about the art itself ;) ) But what I wanted to know was: should I get the book or DVD?

And if you say book, what version should I get? If you say DVD, where should I buy it from? Please provide links if you can. Thanks for reading. :)

-killer : kam

Aug 31, 2007
MI, US
In my opinion the book. If you have no problem reading and learning from books, get the book. The book will have more information, sleights, and tricks than the DVDs. If you have the extra money and perfer a DVD along with it, than why not; but for about $10 you can't beat having the book.

Dec 14, 2007
Paul Wilson went to great pains in his work on the DVD translation of the book. Unlike a lot of guys (and companies) who offer awful translations, I know that Paul has the knowledge and care it takes to do a good job.

Having said that, let's be pragmatic. You can go to abebooks and find several copies of the book for under $5 (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=royal+road+to+card+magic&x=0&y=0)

You can take the book with you anywhere. You can make notes in it. You can refer to it when learning a trick without having to fast forward or track to the section you want. You can go back and spend more time on a section that might have moved too quickly on the DVD.

So, it seems, for a lousy 5 bucks you can have an amazing resource to go along with the DVDs, should you decide to invest in them.

Win - win.

(Or on this forum, should it be Wynn - Wynn.)

Brad Henderson

Oct 4, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Actually R. Paul Wilson's DVD set Royal Road To Card Magic is meant to be used in concert with the book, not as a stand alone. You could likely use the DVD set without the book but that's not the way he designed it and he tells you that right on the first DVD.

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for all the replies, guys. :)
Actually R. Paul Wilson's DVD set Royal Road To Card Magic is meant to be used in concert with the book, not as a stand alone. You could likely use the DVD set without the book but that's not the way he designed it and he tells you that right on the first DVD.

Well to be honest, I don't have a lot of money right now, so what I was wondering is if I got the book if IT could be a stand alone?

slightly off the post topic but is there much difference between the 1999 book ed. and the 2006 ed. besides the $20 price tag.
What kind of differences are there? And which one is better? I also heard that there is a 2004 edition as well. But the 2006 edition cost MUCH more; like $35-$40 in th places I'm looking. Is there that much of a difference in the 2004 and 2006 editions?

-killer : kam

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results