Royal Road to Card Magic

Feb 24, 2019
Here's just another question I had for all of you guys in the forum.

I currently own the book Expert Card Technique but was wondering if it is still worth it to get Royal Road to Card Magic

As a side note I am looking for a good book for a beginner who is close to intermediate but has been really out of practice.

Also looking for tips on how to read "magic books" as I find it a bit complicated to follow what the authors are actually saying without pictures to show the action.

Thanks, Michael

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
If you're not having trouble reading through Expert Card Technique, then you might not get as much out of Royal Road as the material is very similar. However, Royal Road does have a lot of easier material to comprehend if you're just starting out in magic and has a lot of decent fundamentals as well as tricks.

For other suggestions though, if you want to delve into more magic, I would purchase Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, the Card College Series, and the Art of Astonishment series (books). These all are wonderful for beginners up to intermediate level magicians, but also for advanced magicians who want to re-establish some fundamentals as well as learn good theory in magic. The Art of Astonishment Vol 1 has arguably one of the most formative essays in magic ever.

Having trouble reading books is very normal, the amount of terminology can be very difficult, especially in a book like Expert Card Technique. I now use it more as a reference book rather than a book I read from front to back (I have done so before and it was a harrowing experience). I think that you'll have a lot easier time reading books like Art of Astonishment, which uses more colloquial language and is a lot more fun to read.

Reactions: Magomichael
Feb 24, 2019
Ok, thanks so much! I'll look into those other books. I have one more question how much easier is the instruction in Royal Road? I was also looking for some material that would help me with palming, the top change and bottom dealing as these three have constantly been a sort of obsession of mine.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The top palm, bottom palm, some top changes and a couple of bottom deals are in Expert Card Technique.

The top change and top palm are also in Royal Road.

That said, I love the Card College series. The descriptions are good and there are drawings for each step. Top Change is Volume 1, Top Palm is Volume 2, Bottom Palm is Volume 3, Bottom Deal is Volume 4.

Reactions: Magomichael
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results