Royal Road to Card Magic

Alright where I stand now i'm a beginner/intermediate in card work (leaning towards intermediate). Although this I realized I can do things but I lack many of the basics. Palms, tenkai, moves that make up a magician.

I heard Royal Road To Card Magic was a great source and I'd like to hear if someone would back this up or reccommend something else.

Thanks

~PaCo

Aug 31, 2007
MI, US
Yes, Royal Road is an excellent decision. After that you should also pick up Expert Card Technique, by the same authers (Hugard and Braue).
If you have the money though, pick up Card College... I love my set and that'll last you forever with stuff to do and practice.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Royal Road to Card Magic was THE book that covered everything in card magic before Card College came out. I would recommend going through Card College, buying it volume by volume.

Oct 6, 2007
Although this I realized I can do things but I lack many of the basics. Palms, tenkai, moves that make up a magician.

~PaCo

Hey, glad to hear that you want to get a solid foundation before specializing into particular tricks.

However, I wouldn't say that knowing advanced sleight of hand, palms, tenkai palms, etc. make up a 'magician'. Of course, knowing these much harder sleights can impress your audience and other magicians alike, but it is not stipulated in a book soemwhere that you MUST know these in order to become a 'magician'.

I realised this a while back- I was confused whether to bother and try to learn these advanced sleights and in the end I decided not to. That didn't make me worse of a magician, and actually I have made quite a name for myself in my school. Now, of course, I have learnt the palm, but I still haven't learnt the tenkai palm and frankly, I don't feel that I'm missing THAT much.

So yes, you may be able to do some killer stuff with these advanced sleights, but keep in mind- you could perform miracles without them. Of course, if you put the time and effort into learning these, nothing but good things can be gained.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results