Rubiks cube magic?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So I have heard multiple magicians talk about Rubik's cube magic, downgrading it as if it isn't a real form of magic, and I can;t understand why. Their reasoning is that "Oh well, the effect is the method." or for the effects that do something different "The effect is made to look plausible.". How does mean that Rubik's cube magic (RCM as I will refer to it from here on out) isn't magic? I strongly disagree.

Here's my argument against this:
Point A: Sword Swallowing
Sword Swallowing is not generally presented as your "normal magic", but it is a form of magic that falls under the same category. I've always heard people say "oh it must be a candy sword", or "its a drop out sword" though that isn't the case. Aren't those the same types of plausible scenarios presented with RCM? And in both scenarios, isn't the method the effect at its core? If you are looking at it like that, isn't sword swallowing, and a ton of other major effects in the same category?

Point B: Non Geek Circus/Sideshow Magic
Similarly to sword swallowing, these effects are 100% real. Fire Eating, Eating a Light bulb, hammering a nail into your nose, putting a ice pick through your hand and arm (cough cough David Blaine cough cough), etc. All of these actually happen. Thus, the effect is the method, but it is still magic.

Point C: It fits the reason.
The point of Magic is to connect with the audience, entertain, and bring a unique sense of wonder, right? Rubik's cube magic has entertained a huge amount of people, due to its large following, allows you to connect with the audience because everyone can relate to it and it creates nice patter, and it brings a great wonder to the table. I was watching Steven Brundage's Work, specifically Cube 3, and even though I knew the basics of what was going on, my mind was blown as to how one can perform such a feat so cleanly and so effortlessly.

So I cannot see how anyone would say rubik's cube magic is not actually magic.

Thoughts?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I am generally of the belief that any time someone says, "That's not real magic!" what they are really saying is, "Stop liking things I didn't think of first!" Always keep in mind the people who are commenting, and about whom they are commenting. Usually it's some random Joe Nobody who barely performs, or has no fan base, commenting about someone who's making national television appearances with tons of fans.

It's jealousy, plain and simple. People who want to feel special that they are someone more "pure" magicians.

If we're going to say that "the effect is the method" means that it's not magic, that removes the entirety of object manipulation as "magic". So unless they are prepared to say Cardini wasn't doing magic, they've got no legs to stand on.

All I personally care about is making sure the audience leaves the performance feeling like they had a magical experience.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Rubiks cube magic is just like any other magic IMO. It depends how it is presented. You can present it as a display of skill in which you are the worlds fastest cuber, or you can present it as magic in which the cube just solves itself. I have seen some really good rubiks and some really bad ones. Look up Garrett Thomas' work on it and you will think he is possessed by the cube devil or something. He does a great job mixing in the "puzzle" aspect with pure magic.

It's interesting that you bring this up because it reminds me of a discussion on a Facebook group for magicians. It was basically over whether people like Criss Angel or not. One thing that I have always respected about Criss Angel, despite my hang ups about his personal life, is that he has never cared what other magicians thought about him. I honestly think this is one of the key ingredients to him becoming a major modern success. Whether you love him or hate him, no one can deny that he was very successful at what he did.

This applies to my own life as well. My first post ever on here was torn apart by "magicians" on here. It made me feel awful to the point where I wanted to give up on magic. It wasn't until my friend Trino (who regularly tours with Masters of Illusion) messaged me on Facebook and encouraged me. When I took Trino's advice, it lead to way more success than the "advice" of haters. It's interesting because people online who are often the most critical have nothing to show for it. There are no videos or photos online them of them performing for major crowds. In fact you wonder if they get out and perform at all. One of my biggest haters is just a guy who performs card tricks to a webcam and that's it. So the opinion of someone who tours around the world with Masters of Illusion held way more weight to me than some bitter dude on the internet.

One of my favorite motivational quotes of all time is: "Be a lion who does not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep." Gary Vaynerchuk also says something along these lines about being successful. You really have to quit concerning yourself about what others say and just do what you are passionate about. So if you want to do rubik's cube magic, then go for it and don't give a crap about other "magicians" thinking it's not real magic. I'd like to see them say that to Steven Brundage who fooled Penn and Teller as well as performed on America's Got Talent. I'm willing to bet none of those people who were saying it isn't real magic or not nearly as well recognized as he is.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It's interesting that you bring this up because it reminds me of a discussion on a Facebook group for magicians. It was basically over whether people like Criss Angel or not. One thing that I have always respected about Criss Angel, despite my hang ups about his personal life, is that he has never cared what other magicians thought about him. I honestly think this is one of the key ingredients to him becoming a major modern success. Whether you love him or hate him, no one can deny that he was very successful at what he did.

This applies to my own life as well. My first post ever on here was torn apart by "magicians" on here. It made me feel awful to the point where I wanted to give up on magic. It wasn't until my friend Trino (who regularly tours with Masters of Illusion) messaged me on Facebook and encouraged me. When I took Trino's advice, it lead to way more success than the "advice" of haters. It's interesting because people online who are often the most critical have nothing to show for it. There are no videos or photos online them of them performing for major crowds. In fact you wonder if they get out and perform at all. One of my biggest haters is just a guy who performs card tricks to a webcam and that's it. So the opinion of someone who tours around the world with Masters of Illusion held way more weight to me than some bitter dude on the internet.

One of my favorite motivational quotes of all time is: "Be a lion who does not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep." Gary Vaynerchuk also says something along these lines about being successful. You really have to quit concerning yourself about what others say and just do what you are passionate about. So if you want to do rubik's cube magic, then go for it and don't give a crap about other "magicians" thinking it's not real magic. I'd like to see them say that to Steven Brundage who fooled Penn and Teller as well as performed on America's Got Talent. I'm willing to bet none of those people who were saying it isn't real magic or not nearly as well recognized as he is.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I saw a couple professionals talking about it though, not gonna mention names cuz I don't wanna throw any shade.

Honestly, I love watching it. It blows my mind, and is actually inspirational, since it shows us that you can do magic with legit anything. I never performed Rubiks cube magic, or learned any, but it is definitely on my list.

Jan 9, 2017
I bought cube3 and even though the effect is the method, it's easily something you can be passionate about. That was it for me. I will say, though about the one with the shell (I forget the name of the guy), I'm disappointed that you can't do it close up. But I think it's still magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results