Rules of magic?

Jul 13, 2009
Rules of Magic

(1) Never set aside any accepted rule, unless it is absolutely necessary to do so for some clearly defined reason.

(2) Always endeavor to form an accurate conception of the point of view most likely to be adopted by a disinterested spectator.

(3) Avoid complexity of procedure, and never tax either the patience or the memory of the audience.

(4) Never produce two simultaneous effects, and let no effect be obscured by any subsidiary distraction.

(5) Let each magical act represent a complete, distinct, and separate entity; compromising of nothing beyond one continuous chain of essential details, leading to one definite effect.

(6) Let every accessory and incidental detail be kept well �within the picture,� and in harmony with the general impression which is intended to be conveyed.

(7) Let nothing occur without an apparently substantial cause, and let every potential cause produce some apparently consequent effect.

(8) Always remember that avoidable defects are incapable of justification.

(9) Always remember that a plea of justification is ordinarily an acknowledgement of error, and consequently demands every possible reparation.

(10) Cut your coat according to your cloth, but spare no pains in the cutting, or your procedure cannot be justified.

(11) Always remember that a notable surprise is incapable of repetition; and that the repetition of an effect, of any kind whatever, cannot create surprise.

(12) A minor conception ordinarily demands the cumulative effect of repetition; a conception important in itself should usually create a distinct surprise.

(13) The simultaneous presentation of two independent feats is permissible when one of them is associated with cumulative effect and the other in a final surprise.

(14) Unless good reason can be shown, never explain, UPON THE STAGE, precisely what you are about to accomplish.

(15) When presenting an effect of pure transition, the first and most important essential is the avoidance of every possible cause of distraction.

(16) When an effect of transition ends with a sudden revelation or surprise, the course of the transition should be punctuated by actions or sounds leading up to and accentuating the final impression.

(17) In every effect of pure transition, the beginning and end of the process involved should be distinctly indicated by some coincident occurrence.

(18) In each presentation, the procedure should lead up to culminating point of interest, at which point the magical effect should be produced and after which nothing magically interesting should occur.

(19) When a presentation includes a number of effects in series, the final effect should represent a true climax, and its predecessors successive steps whereby that climax is reached.

(20) When Magic and Drama are combined in one presentation, the stage procedure should primarily be governed by Dramatic requirements of the case, rather than the normal principles of Art in Magic.

(21) When, in a combination of the two arts, the primary requirements of drama have been satisfied, all subsidiary details of procedure should be dictated by the normal principles of Art in Magic.

(22) No magician should ever present, in public, any magical feat in which the procedure cannot be, or has not been, adapted to his own personal characteristics and abilities.

(23) Never attempt, in public, anything that cannot be performed with the utmost ease in private.

(24) Never present in public any performance which has not been most perfectly rehearsed�first in detail, and finally as a whole.

From a very good book well before the time of Darwin Ortiz, I want to know if you agree or disagree with these rules?

um i think there are way to many exceptions for ALL of these rules to be followed. I think some of them are well said and delicious, but, lets say, the repetition, effects are actually stronger when you repeat them. Look at slydini's work on the coin on shoulder, it was because of the repetition that made the effect soo impossible. But overall, nice set of guidelines to follow.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
um i think there are way to many exceptions for ALL of these rules to be followed. I think some of them are well said and delicious, but, lets say, the repetition, effects are actually stronger when you repeat them. Look at slydini's work on the coin on shoulder, it was because of the repetition that made the effect soo impossible. But overall, nice set of guidelines to follow.

Obviously it depends on the trick and performance. If its a coin routine,obviously its going to be repeated. Thats what a coin routine is.
But performing a pulse stop or floating something isnt going to make it stronger the second time around.

But a coin routine isnt really repeating the effect. Its supposed to be layered.
I have yet to encounter an effect that has the same power on a spectator the second time performed.

seriously? all that entire routinne is the repeated effect of the coin going to the spectators shoulder, nothing more. What is a coins across routine? the repeated travelling of four coins. Larry jennings has an effect where the aces travel to four different pockets... twice. theres three exceptions off the top of my head.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
seriously? all that entire routinne is the repeated effect of the coin going to the spectators shoulder, nothing more. What is a coins across routine? the repeated travelling of four coins. Larry jennings has an effect where the aces travel to four different pockets... twice. theres three exceptions off the top of my head.

Those are routines.Thats what they are made for. What im saying is they dont count. Each phase is different. Im talking about straight up doing the SAME effect.

Jul 13, 2009
But a coin routine isnt really repeating the effect. Its supposed to be layered.
I have yet to encounter an effect that has the same power on a spectator the second time performed.

There are other rules that may be discussed just pointing that out.

(1) Never set aside any accepted rule, unless it is absolutely necessary to do so for some clearly defined reason.

Does the ambitious card fit in this category or is the ACR a common beginner trick that is not magic? I am talking basic structure of the effect card jumps to the top.

How about the final load sequence of the cups and balls?

Now on an unrelated note (but subtext completely on topic)
Magic "secrets", what is secret?

I believe secrets is the methodology that is used to accomplish the effect. Agree or agree to disagree.

Basically I want to know if you agree with my definition of magic secrets.

Magic "secrets", what is secret?

I believe secrets is the methodology that is used to accomplish the effect. Agree or agree to disagree.

Basically I want to know if you agree with my definition of magic secrets.

secrets are what happens under the spectators noses that they dont know about, whether it be a single slieght, or one of a few that produce a single effect, so yes i agree.

Jul 13, 2009
My next question before I go to bed is, if the "magic secret" is exposed to the world does that make this Secret absolete and not worth pursuing, I mean sure if you figure out a different way to accomplish the effect your spectators will assume that you are using the same secret correct?

My next question before I go to bed is, if the "magic secret" is exposed to the world does that make this Secret absolete and not worth pursuing, I mean sure if you figure out a different way to accomplish the effect your spectators will assume that you are using the same secret correct?

i guess, unless you could disguise the method as a different effect all together.

Jul 13, 2009
Now I highly suggest you all if you can't afford strong magic to sign up here

http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

and read the theories of magic from magicians of the past such as Maskelyn, Devant, Houdin, Houdini, Professor Hoffman, ontop of this they have 51 issuses of the Jinx magazine if that isn't an incentive enough to apply for a membership maybe this will.
ITS FREEEEEE.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results