Run out of ideas

Apr 11, 2012
Hey everyone! I have been working on some tricks over the past month but I am out of ideas for a cool trick. Do any of you have any? If you do, please list them below and that would be much help!

Thanks

Apr 29, 2012
Are you kidding me?!?

So, what you're asking us is to give you ideas that you can claim as you're own. Just come up with you're own ideas, kid. Sorry if I'm sounding mean, but I think most people will agree with me. Just sit down with a deck of cards or some coins or rubber bands and just play around. Most of my ideas have come out of that.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Don't worry about inventing tricks. Worry about becoming a good performer, which you do by performing. Just get out there and do magic, and if an idea comes to you, that's when you worry about creating the method.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Read a classic magic text over. Go to the library and read a book made for layman. Watch Harry Potter and take notes.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm think that in magic it is important to understand what is already out there before coming up with what we think are new ideas.

Samuel - you are a young magician. Your time is better spent learning than trying to invent.

Get Card College or Tarbell and work through those books. You will be learning tools that you can apply to whatever idea you come up with in the future. Get the Art of Astonishment books - you can see a lot of creativity using generally simple methods. Check out books by Bannon and Gustaferro if you like cards - they are two very creative minds in card magic. Check out Tom Stone's books Vortex and Malestorm - those books teach you to think about magic.

If you start mastering your craft by learning from books, in six years you will be the hottest name in magic. You need a foundation before you can build a house.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will echo Reality's thoughts on getting TARBELL and start reading. Also...network...network...network. You need to spend time jamming with other magicians and bouncing ideas of other people. Everyone wants the fast lane to stardom by releasing a "great" trick. Guess what? There is a lot more into it than coming up with a cool idea for an effect.

Honestly I would think you would be better off trying to learn as much magic as you can instead of trying to create it. You're much better off reading Tarbell, or Mark Wilson's, etc. It's great that you want to create, and you are trying to be creative but without a solid foundation in magic study behind you chances are good you're going to be disappointed when you come up with a genius idea only to find someone telling you that it's already in Tarbell on page XXX.

I think too many young magicians now days are rushing out to create and get famous among other magicians without really putting the time in, in front of lay audiences. I'm not saying creating is a bad thing, but certainly put your time in learning the ropes first.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results