S.W. Erdnase's "Expert at the Card Table"

Sep 10, 2007
Oooh, I was just reading a copy of this..in my public library, oddly enough!

Yes, it is a good resource. As you know, Erdnase didn't make a name for himself doing nothing. The only thing is...you have to have a really visual mind. Learning from a book like this (like Royal Road to Card Magic) is sort of hard because there aren't a lot of visuals. But, you can still learn stuff. I mean, considering it has stuff like bottom deals, shuffles, etc.

I'd say get it, if you're willing to spend time on it/have a visual mind. Otherwise, get it for extra reading. (Or, you could maybe find a video version. I think they have at least one)

Hope that helps.

Sep 1, 2007
Thank you.

I'm trying to get into gambling demonstrations.

I'll go ahead and pick up a copy.

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
Its the bible of all cardmen
definatley get it
you will find yourself looking back at it or finding something in it you didnt see before

its great

"Artifice, Ruse, and Subterfuge at the Card Table", better known by the title "The Expert at the Card Table" is a classic of card magic, and magic in general. It is a book that has provided the inspirations for countless magicians, most famously Dai Vernon. It is a book that you may find difficult to learn from, however, the techniques discussed in the book are those that have been refined into the great sleights that we use today.

It is a must buy for any magician's library, especially those interested in Card Magic. However, be prepared to truly study the text.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
Or I could go to the original website and get the pdf for free...

I personally like having the actual book, rather than an electronic file. Same with DVDs. When it's a concrete product, I feel like I'm actually getting something for my money. I also like nice books.

Oct 20, 2007
In my opinion, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a lot of card moves on the table or if you're just plane old looking to learn how to cheat someone out of their money, then this is a good resource (if you are looking to cheat someone, you should also pick up a book on card counting but then again, cheating is illegal, so don't). Somone on the sight said that you must be a good visual thinker and I completely agree. There's heavy jargon so just be patient while trying to study. But yeah, it's a good resource depending on what you're looking for. However, if you're just looking for extra sleights to learn, go with "Card College."

JFH

Oct 4, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
There is a set of 7 dvd's covering Erdnase's but I can't attest as to how well they are made, I'm only posting this as a point of interest on the topic. As most have already pointed out Expert At The Card Table is and has been considered the "bible" of cardmen for many many years. You can check out the dvd's at:

"http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1656"

Sep 9, 2007
I have that exact book, as well as the 7 DVD set...

The book is really indepth, i'm a quarter of the way through, but you really gotta concentrate to visualize the words in motion. The small size is great, and it's readable as long as you're not walking. a bumpy subway ride is ok, but walking is just too much . There are larger versions of it for sale on amazon or ebay if you have trouble with small text.

The DVDs are pretty decent too, I'm mostly through the 2nd one, the first one is all history, but interesting nonetheless.

also, the book was written more for card cheats in the early 1900's, but you can use all of the slights in there (Infact, you should already know some), or adapt them once you get the concepts. The DVD looks fairly recent and seems to lean towards magic a bit more and has some improvements on the moves.

Bottom line: Both are good, and both are worth getting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results