Saturday Night Contest - Black Friday

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend! Just yesterday for Black Friday we released a project over two years in the making - Derren Brown Playing Cards. Over the past two years, these playing cards have been crafted with passion, precision, and art direction by Derren Brown. Wrapped in gold and green to resemble an antique book, these cards are an elegant tool for magic, card games, collectors, and beyond.

In the spirit of the black in Black Friday, our contest this week is inspired by the black and white theme. Your challenge this week is to capture an image of playing cards in a black and white style. You can also take it up a notch by trying to replicate the film noir style. Lighting can make or break your photo, so do your best to get it just right and find the right contrast.

Upload your picture to Instagram using the hashtag #theory11 and post the link to your post in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, December 1st. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner. Winner will be selected based on the overall impact of the photo, the composition of your shot, the lighting, and how close you can get to the film noir style. Each member is allowed up to 2 entries.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and 6 Decks of Derren Brown Playing Cards, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

Good luck!

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend! Just yesterday for Black Friday we released a project over two years in the making - Derren Brown Playing Cards. Over the past two years, these playing cards have been crafted with passion, precision, and art direction by Derren Brown. Wrapped in gold and green to resemble an antique book, these cards are an elegant tool for magic, card games, collectors, and beyond.

In the spirit of the black in Black Friday, our contest this week is inspired by the black and white theme. Your challenge this week is to capture an image of playing cards in a black and white style. You can also take it up a notch by trying to replicate the film noir style. Lighting can make or break your photo, so do your best to get it just right and find the right contrast.

Upload your picture to Instagram using the hashtag #theory11 and post the link to your post in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, December 1st. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner. Winner will be selected based on the overall impact of the photo, the composition of your shot, the lighting, and how close you can get to the film noir style. Each member is allowed up to 2 entries.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and 6 Decks of Derren Brown Playing Cards, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

Good luck!
And can I upload mine to google drive and share the link instead of instagram?

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
Want to know what would be cool, theme is black and white, prize is artisans. Black and white artisans as the decks of choice for this contest?

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
Editing is allowed, however we would strongly prefer you to stick with color grading, brightness/contrast, etc instead of moving things around in the photo with photoshop. We want a picture taken directly from the camera.
Color grading is done in post. Color grading is the act of taking the cameras photo and making it natural color. However, I get the idea, keep the photo natural yet on theme. The only problem, my idea will rely heavily on the use of adjustment layers in photoshop. The editing will not obstruct or make the message unclear. The editing will be to enhance the photo and allow me to better express myself in the given theme. The editing will be to compliment the photo, not control it. Although without seeing my finished product yet and this being relatively vague, will this enhancement through editing be allowed if it does not overpower the photo?

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
But Gold Artisans > Black/White Artisans :)
I meant since theme is black and white, to honor the prize, use black and white cards of the same family that is the prize. And I’m exited. I’ll probably be up all night working on this, lol.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results