Saturday Night Contest - First Impessions

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Whenever performing for a new group of people, magicians have to make a great first impression to capture their audience's attention. The opener is a very important part of your routine, and can be the difference in terms of how engaged the audience is with your magic going forward. Openers are usually visual, quick, and a lead-in to the next effect. That's what we're using as inspiration for this week's contest.

The challenge? Create a new opening effect. It can be with anything you like, even cards. We want to see a quick and visual effect that can capture our attention. You can also perform an already existing effect, but put a creative twist on it. We want to see something creative and original that goes with the criteria above. Just make sure the video is 60 seconds or less.

Film and upload the performance of your effect and post it to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram. Then, post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 8th. Once time is up, our panel of judged will go through all submissions and decide on the winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points and ODYSSEY by Calen Morelli, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We look forward to seeing your new openers. Good luck!

Jul 5, 2016
Texas
Hmmm.... Let's say I don't have any social media/youtube. Is there another way I could submit my trick? Say, uploading the file for the video? Wait, can't upload videos.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Haschich

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2016
Brazil
www.instagram.com
I like monte effects or simple mind reading for opening, but as we have to create something new here's my try, a twist on the cardini change, quick and visual.

"I changed my mind about which deck I'm going to use"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO_ELFWB19k/

I submited my video to another contest of another site too, I hope this isn't a problem.

Good luck everyone!

Jan 7, 2017
quick question: can we submit more than 1 video? I have 2 effects that I use a lot for openings and I can't decide between them

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results