Saturday Night Contest - Limited Options

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope all of you are having a great weekend! Imagine this scenario: you are out to eat at a restaurant with friends or family, and you want to entertain them before the food arrives with a bit of magic. The only problem is that you have almost nothing on you. You forgot your cards at your house, and all you have available to use are these items:

-Wallet (includes dollar bills, coins, credit/debit/gift cards, ID)
-Drink Glass (includes the glass itself, ice, straw) *liquid is optional
-Silverware (fork, knife, spoon)

The challenge tonight is to create an effect that uses ONLY these items. You can use only one of them, or all of them. It's completely up to you. For example, you could come up with an effect that only uses a wallet and its components, an effect that only uses ice cubes and a straw, etc. If the item is on that list above, it's fair game for this contest. We really want you to get outside of your comfort zone and create something so when the situation calls for it, you'll be ready!

Film and upload the performance of your effect to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram and post the link in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 22nd. After time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on the following criteria:

This week's winner will be determined based on these factors: creativity, originality, execution, and overall impact. To increase your chances of winning, make sure you don't flash, and make your effect memorable. Don't rush the performance! We are looking for the best overall entry that showcases these criteria.

What can the winner take home this week? 1,000 Elite Member Points and BREAK by Uday Jadugar, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We are excited to see what all of you can come up with. Start brainstorming!

During the performance could we use an item to help boost the performance (i.e. using a scarf that we were wearing as a blindfold) if it no way adds to the creativity of the effect but rather just adds to the impossibility of the performance?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
During the performance could we use an item to help boost the performance (i.e. using a scarf that we were wearing as a blindfold) if it no way adds to the creativity of the effect but rather just adds to the impossibility of the performance?

Honestly, I don't see why not.

Seems like if you fill in their criteria (and additional things like scarves or ties are included--but the video is shot to where it makes sense to have them), you're good.

Dec 6, 2015
Canada
I often keep ordinary coupons in my wallet, could I use those?

Also, would these items be able to be gimmicked ones that we carry around with us everyday - Eg. Mystery Credit Card by Hektor or Hip Pocket Bombshell?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I often keep ordinary coupons in my wallet, could I use those?

Also, would these items be able to be gimmicked ones that we carry around with us everyday - Eg. Mystery Credit Card by Hektor or Hip Pocket Bombshell?
Contest rules state that you can only use the items listed in the original post. If it's not there, you can't use it. Sorry!

If the gimmick uses something else not on the list, it cannot be used.

Reactions: Martin Eret

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Here is my entry! It's the creation that I'm most proud of since it is 100% impromptu and can be performed anywhere. Every single object can be borrowed so no magic props or gimmicks are used. It plays well for stage as well as street. I call it: Impossibill! :D
That's really clever! Patter could use a bit of work but the handling and the justification for everything is logical. The Manila Folder line was silly in the best possible way :D

That's really clever! Patter could use a bit of work but the handling and the justification for everything is logical. The Manila Folder line was silly in the best possible way :D
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely going to refine the patter before I take it to the close up competition. I was kind of just winging it. The Manila Folder line was inspired by a joke by Scott Alexander. I was trying to mimic his style of creation when making this effect.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely going to refine the patter before I take it to the close up competition. I was kind of just winging it. The Manila Folder line was inspired by a joke by Scott Alexander. I was trying to mimic his style of creation when making this effect.
Either way, this is a really good idea! I don't have anything in mind that can compete with that so I may table my little ideas for now. You've got my vote for this one :D

Reactions: marcopaso
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results