Saturday Night Contest - Miracles For Haiti

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
As I'm sure many of you are already aware, a 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti earlier this week, devastating the country. Thousands lost their lives and countless homes, hospitals, schools, and businesses were destroyed. As a country that relied primarily on their natural resources to survive (most Hatians live on $2.00 or less per day), a disaster of this magnitude requires the immediate effort of anyone capable... including magicians.

The goal tonight is to increase awareness of the current situation in Haiti, and attempt to raise as much money as possible through everyone that participates in this contest. Your task is to create a video demonstrating an effect (or routine) using only natural elements - earth (sand, rocks, etc.), water, wind (air), and/or fire - to express the need for assistance in the Haiti relief effort. This can be an original effect or one that has been previously published, performed either live or on your own. Other items may be used, but the primary effect should rely on something elemental - symbolizing the country's 80% poverty rate, as well as this tragic disaster.

The video must also include text somewhere during the duration of the video pointing viewers to a charity or organization directly benefiting Haiti. Some examples are below.

"Donate to Haiti Earthquake Relief now by visiting www.redcross.org"
"Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the relief effort"

We're looking for creativity and clarity of message, tonight. All entries should be uploaded to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Drop.io - and posted as a response to this thread no later than 11:00pm EST, for judging. The winner tonight will receive a six-pack of playing cards sent your way, on the house. Here's a quick video from a humble contributor to the Haiti relief effort, to inspire you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAy340uxsV0

Let's make something magical happen tonight guys!

Sep 1, 2007
Why does it have to be an effect using "earth" elements? I love the fact that the contest is dedicated to Haiti, but doing a GOOD effect with water or sand or w.e isn't very probable to create in 4 hours. plus just 2 or 3 weeks ago the contest was to make an effect for warer. How about just any effect? I'm sure you will get better videos if you make it open to anything...

May 18, 2008
Why does it have to be an effect using "earth" elements? I love the fact that the contest is dedicated to Haiti, but doing a GOOD effect with water or sand or w.e isn't very probable to create in 4 hours. plus just 2 or 3 weeks ago the contest was to make an effect for warer. How about just any effect? I'm sure you will get better videos if you make it open to anything...

Just cause it isn't easy doesn't mean it isn't possible or good.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
The effect could be anything from pulling a leaf off of a flower and restoring it, to causing a rock (or rocks) to travel from one location to another invisibly, to making a book of matches sporadically burst into flames. We're not asking you to 'create' anything, as you are free to perform something that's been published in the past.

The main goal here is to create a video that raises awareness for Haiti in an inspiring and intriguing way - through magic. Hope this clears things up.

May 18, 2008
I had a few questions... I have an idea in mind, and it revolves completely around a natural element.

However, I am unsure of all the rules, and was wondering... Can the element be modified? I.E., use ice? Colored Water? Colored Sand?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2009
I dont like to be the downer but I dont like the prompt for tonights contest. I wont be participating

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I had a few questions... I have an idea in mind, and it revolves completely around a natural element.

However, I am unsure of all the rules, and was wondering... Can the element be modified? I.E., use ice? Colored Water? Colored Sand?

Thanks!
Absolutely! In regards to the video having been filmed previously - we'd prefer an original submission for tonight's contest.

Remember guys, the effect doesn't have to be complicated - anything that utilizes any natural element would do. What would you perform if cards, coins, and sponge balls weren't an option?

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice to see a contest for this! I wish i could enter but cant film tonight :(

Also off topic, who won the grand prize for magic-con?

Aug 13, 2009
Okay, I have an odd question. Let's say I'm sixteen and my mom has told me that she loves my magic, but she doesn't want me doing anything fire related. But I have a nice idea, using fire. Can I use something to represent fire? Say, for example, a D'Lite? Or is that not possible?

Dec 28, 2009
arkansas
i alread made my video i like the topic i dont liek to have to use a magicroutine but i did with crystals so i hope my video if loved by the ppl and helps out alot

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Okay, I have an odd question. Let's say I'm sixteen and my mom has told me that she loves my magic, but she doesn't want me doing anything fire related. But I have a nice idea, using fire. Can I use something to represent fire? Say, for example, a D'Lite? Or is that not possible?
I'd say "light" definitely qualifies as an element. Do it, to it. ;)

but is it possible to use mud? does that count as earth i think it should but im just clarifying
Most definitely!

May 18, 2008
I did a little, like... REALLY quick trick with natural elements. I hope it works out. I don't care if I win though; this is a VERY worthy cause of donation.

Rendering now, so should be up soon.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results