Saturday Night Contest: SUNDAY Edition! (FINALLY)

Christen

theory11
Team member
Oct 25, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey everyone! Apologies for this week's SNC showing up a bit late... but, here it is!

Anyone else find that even after their decks have been retired because of heavy use, they still keep them around? I can't bring myself to ever get rid of them! I once, accidentally, left a deck unattended my cat decided he wanted to rip the cards apart and scatter the confetti around his fluffy bed; it was a sad but adorable. I saved the tuck though and I use it to store small bits and pieces for some of my favorite magic tricks. Oh and buttons. Yes, I have a tuck full of buttons. What unique ways do you use your cards and/or tucks? I may "borrow" these ideas for my own use....

Please post your entries to THIS forum thread by 11:30pm EST tomorrow, Monday, September 12th.

What can you win? 1,500 Elite Member Points and 6 decks of your choice that are currently in stock!

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
I also keep all the tucks! The first thing I do when I open a new deck, and it's something I've not seen anyone else do, but I feel like everyone should(!) — is preserve the seal. They're always so beautiful, breaking it seems like a damn shame. I feel like I'm one step away from hoarding wrapping paper...

I'll take a knife and carefully lift the seal up without breaking it and I relocate it somewhere on the box that fits with the design. My boxes tend to stay in mint condition as I only use them around the house. So even if the deck becomes a poop deck, when I retire them away into the graveyard of used decks – in their boxes they look good as new!

Below is a photo of how my current deck and where I've put the seal:

Attachments

• SWDEck.jpg
    SWDEck.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 134
Apr 16, 2022
I use empty tuck cases for storing guitar picks... other than my extreme compulsive card collecting I also go down the rabbit hole with music. I guess art comes in all forms and I absolutely check the boxes in multiple categories when it comes to art!

Jul 17, 2022
I use my playing cards to make stands for other decks. I use complicated card stacking techniques to do so, no glue or tape.

Just something to add to that, I use an empty tuck to store torn cards from magic tricks, as a reminder of the magic I do. I’m 13 and have only been doing magic for two years, so I don’t have the tuck filled yet.

neilvinzon

Elite Member
Jun 29, 2014
Philippines
I've used playing cards as a bookmark. I use it in a book I'm reading and in my notebook where I usually write my goals, things I need to do, or things that I recently learned. Then, I used the tucks for storing the joker and ad cards of the decks I use because I like to collect them. Lastly, I remember when I got a new PC a few years ago, I used the tucks for keeping the extra screws, some cable ties, and even a keycap puller.

Jul 17, 2022
I use my playing cards to make stands for other decks. I use complicated card stacking techniques to do so, no glue or tape.
Yet another thing to add to that, I use a tuck to hold gift cards, it’s the perfect shape. By the way, please count all of my posts as one, It wouldn’t let me edit.

Reactions: ssSlayerWolf

Sleck

Elite Member
Nov 26, 2017
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't throw his old decks away!

I use most of them as decoys for a lot of my mystery decks. I don't actually throw out or rip up any of my mystery deck wrappers either, I actually like how they look and use them for decorations on shelves and stuff. So I stuff them with my retired decks to hold their shape.

yeti8726

Elite Member
Jul 9, 2011
I use old playing cards as a leveling device by adding or removing cards until I get the correct height and the tuck cases I use as a secret storage cases for cash and put them back in my collection.

MaxiFernandes

Elite Member
Apr 12, 2017
I used the cards as weapons and practice throwing them like shurikens

(No one was hurt in the dojo 🥋)

Also, can a staff check on my last week's SNC prize, I have sent my details but haven't recieved any confirmation yet

RaphaelA

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2020
After one of my decks becomes almost unusable (which is very often haha), I do a little arts and crafts to it to make something that I can give away to friends as something to remember me and my magic by. Essentially, what I do is I make a deck of cards like a book. I cut out most of a card, leaving only the border on about 40-ish cards, and the rest I leave as whole cards to fill in the sides. So this leaves the center of the deck of cards open while there are still sides. I glue all of these cards together when I'm done. I also like to make a hinge for the book (glued deck of cards). So that when they open it, it's like opening a chest full of treasure! And then I will put it in a tuck case and fake a seal and then write a birthday or any note and leave it inside the book deck of cards. It's just a special thing I like doing for my friends! So that's my fun little thing I like to do with old decks that I really can't use anymore! Makes memories for me!
(sorry if this is a long comment)

Perplexity

Elite Member
Jun 23, 2022
During COVID, the friends I had in my “bubble” loved it if I built miniature escape rooms for them. I built a whole story around the corrupted Monarchs, using the Monarch cards as clues once they just wouldn’t do the sleights I needed them to anymore. I also hide things in my card boxes, like a key to my lock box. Nobody suspects it because who’s going to check all of the 40+ decks?

This one’s an interesting one! I’d wondered what you were supposed to do once you were finished with cards, but apparently it’s different for everyone!

Apr 18, 2020
I have a deck of really old playing cards that I would use for my “sign this card and I’ll find it” magic tricks. I would only use this specific deck and over time, I realized that I had collected a full deck of signatures from people in my life. Now, I have all the cards framed with signatures from friends and family… best poster ever.

DaBomb

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
As a sub (school) teacher, I usually greet my pupils with a trick on the last day before the regular teacher comes back.

More often than not, the deck appears some morning (from my used ones, which still allows me to perform some few sleights-demanding feats) , hanging from the roof, letting everyone wondering what is it about...

... Until that moment where I reveal which magic surprise is coming up, then of course the deck is splitted and the cards given away, one to each kid, with his/her name, mine, and the date on it, as a unique souvenir of this moment ☺️

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results