Scarne on card tricks

Sep 1, 2007
Yesterday I went to a local book shop and found a copy of "Scarne on card tricks" by John Scarne.

The book seems to be quite good and I am thinking of purchasing it.

I hope someone who had read this book can give me some advice on whether to get it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
i dont know about that book, but i'm reading "the stein and day handbook of magic" and its pretty good. Try the library or something to check it out.

Oct 9, 2007
Basically when Scarne was writing this book he took a lot of magician's favourite tricks and reworked then to become self-working, then he published them in this book.

It's one of the best books I own. I remember someone saying "This book is so good it's almost obscene. I have a habit of marking the pages that contain ones I'll want to remember with mini Post-its. Halfway through this book, I had to go out and buy more Posti-its."

It's not your cutting edge blow your face off magic, but it's certainly very impressive, and easy, leaving you to practice your performance. There are obviously some very poor and old-fashioned tricks in here, but the proportion of these is far lower than in most magic books.

So if you want easy self workers that are very impressive, get this book. It's only like 7 quid on the internet, and is packed with hundreds of self working card tricks.

Sep 1, 2007
When I was doing some research on the book yesterday, I found that the card tricks are self-working.

Then I started to think if they are some old-fashioned tricks.

Now that someone assured that the most of the tricks are impressive I think I am going to purchase it.

Thanks for the replies.

Oct 9, 2007
It's not your cutting edge blow your face off magic[/QUOTE]

.... blow your face off, thats the kind of magic I want to perform.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. Limited, but if that's what you want then I'm not going to complain. I just think self workers are perfect for those surrounded, my angles are rubbish kind of moments that keep popping up.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Its a great book.

Full of usefull little tricks.

Thats all i can say.

Mine is one of the very first copys and sadly the cover has been totally destroyed.

=/

But thank god its just the cover

It's not your cutting edge blow your face off magic

.... blow your face off, thats the kind of magic I want to perform.[/quote]

That's fine. Limited, but if that's what you want then I'm not going to complain. I just think self workers are perfect for those surrounded, my angles are rubbish kind of moments that keep popping up.[/quote]

Asuka, I think he was being sarcastic and funny by putting emphasis on the "blow your face off" part of it.

As far as the book goes, I'd go for it. I personally do now own it, however I saw Mr. Scarne lecture at a local magic shop a few months ago and he was brilliant. He is one of the few magicians out there who I would recommend any product of without even seeing it because I trust him and his magic enough to not put anything even remotely bad out on the market.

~David Rysin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results