Scripting for impromptu magic

Oct 5, 2012
So I am a middle school teacher, and I primarily perform my magic for my students. As a result, most of my "performances" are a single trick during my advisory period, if we have time. I am starting to move past simply doing "tricks" and trying to create more meaningful "effects", and I am wondering what advice people have in terms of scripting out these sorts of impromptu performances.

What do all of you do in terms of scripting your effects? Do you have multiple potential scripts for the same effect? How do you go about writing/editing your scripts?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have 2 suggestions for you.

1.) Buy the book Scripting Magic - It is an outstanding read and will help you immensely. There are also some cool effects in it. One is worth the price of the book alone.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9819

2.) Think of plots and story lines that are "hip" for that particular age group. If you are a middle school teacher, you might want effects that are "cool" with story lines that might involve activities that they are involved in. Celebrities, Facebook, Twitter, Sports, Gambling demos, etc.

Some of my effects have multiple scripts that I use depending on the demographics of my audience.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I would say that for impromptu scripts, you should have just the basic premise of the theme down and allow yourself room for growth and error.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I also realize that you said impromptu performances...ha ha. The thing is, I can be at a party, or anywhere for that matter, and if someone says, "Hey can you show us a few magic effects..." I already know what my set will be, and what my exact patter is for all 3 effects. It very rarely changes. The words have "evolved if you will" over time of doing the effect hundreds of times. Sometimes a spectator will ask or say something that I like and I some how will weave that into my patter for future performances of that said effect.

To them it "seems" like an impromptu, spur of the moment effect, but in reality I already have the lines in my head from all of the repetitions.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven brings up a good point, you can and will "go off" script at times, and this can be very fun with the dialogue that happens when we entertain. When you perform the effect long enough, you will know what little sub bits there are. Think of your main script like a tree trunk and the sub patter or bits as branches going off in different directions. Depending on reactions and what spectators say back to you, you can take those off in different directions and then come back to the main script.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah, having a script is like having a road map. It allows you to get to your destination in a much more efficient direct way. But it also allows you to take a dirt path if you feel the need, the map then allows you to get back on track. As well as allows you to have an Overall Objective when it comes to what you intend to accomplish during your performances.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
A good script can elevate tricks into magic. Just as you would never perform an effect without knowing what you are going to do, you should not perform an effect without knowing what you are going to say. So here are my tips:

1. A good script goes beyond describing what you are doing with the props (i.e. say-do-see patter). Props aren't really interesting, you are.

2. As Rick said, make it relevant to your audience. Celebrities, video games, sports, etc.

3. Write it out, read it aloud, revise. Let it sit for a couple of days, read it out loud, revise again. Repeat as necessary.

4. Use the script to enhance the effect. What you say can provide misdirection, provide an out or cause a spectator to remember something which did or did not happen. It should enhance the effect, not just gomalong for the ride because you need something to say but also not to overwhelm the effect (e.g. a multiplying sponge ball routine about overpopulation and hunger ).

5. Make it a conversation. Close-up magic should be a conversation. Ask questions, listen to your spectators and react.

6. Use IF, THEN. IF the spectator says or does this, THEN I will say or do that. It makes your magic seem more personal or impromptu.

7. Make your script and the effect like a good story. It should have a beginning, a middle and an end. It should have humor, drama, emotion and/or meaning.

8. Have the spectators get "there" a moment before you do. "There" being the reveal. That is, they realize what SHOULD happen a moment before it does. That makes them WANT the magic to happen.

9. Rehearse the script until it becomes like a story you've told a hundred of times. You know, like the time when you were in college and...

10. Let the script reflect your excitement and love of magic (yeah, I've been reading lots of Tamariz lately).

Oct 5, 2012
Thanks All! These are really helpful suggestions. What about routines? How do you fit your scripts/effects together in a meaningful way? I am reading The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride, and he talks a lot about how important coherent routines are, but I'm not sure how to make sure that everything fits...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results