Search and Destroy by Aaron Fisher

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Overall:10/10

Premise: A spectator's selected card is found magically by a pair of Kings(or whatever you want), in the spectator's own hands. The spectator cuts the deck multiple times to find that there card is sandwiched in between the two kings. This effect is 100% impromptu with minimal skill necessary for the version not including the Nowhere Pass which is also taught on the dvd. The first half of the dvd is dedicated to the explanation of Search and Destroy without using the Nowhere Pass; the second half is dedicated completely to the Nowhere pass.

Difficulty:2/10 for Search and Destroy and I'd give a 6/10 for the Nowhere Pass subtelties included.The actual effect isn't difficult at all; however, I haven't performed it and won't perform it for at least 2 weeks; but after practicing for a couple of hours I can tell this one is a blast. One thing that I think gets forgotten in the world of instant product reviews is the fact that the creator of these products promotes the simplicity of an effect while still expecting the purchaser to put the necessary time in for even the most simple effect. I could probably perform this effect right now, 5 hours after watching the dvd, but my performance wouldn't be half as good as it could be if I put the proper time in. Remember that pre-teen and teen magicians. The Nowhere Pass isn't too difficult, but will still require a couple months practice or more if necessary to get it where you want it. There is quite a bit of timing needed to make one of the subtelties look good, but is well worth the time and energy. The Nowhere pass can be instantly incorporated into Search and Destroy and would be quite useful in many other effects as well. It's not quite as difficult as a classic pass or clipshift in my view, but put the time in before you use it, I definitely am.

Teaching: 10/10
Aaron does a phenomenal job detailing the small subtelties of the routine and technique while slowly mixing in presentation and patter ideas in his performance segments. The dvd consists of the feature presentation and a bonus special feature of a performance Aaron did at Grand Illusions. He also covers what can and will go wrong during the effect since the spectator has the deck for most of the effect, and how to avoid and correct any mishaps that might potentially threaten your performance of Search and Destroy.

Overall: 10/10
I don't own the Paper Engine, but this has certainly tempted me into purchasing it. This may be the most well thought out and explained product that I have purchased as a magician. It's not hard, and gives the spectators a chance to play magician. If you're a card worker you'll love it. I want to emphasize that this effect is very simple, and really only involves you, the magician, controlling a card for the effect to work; however you need to put time into this for it to achieve a reaction comparable to what Aaron gets in his performances. Showing it to "mommy" once and then hitting the streets just won't do. If you don't know how to control a card, Aaron covers the overhand shuffle in detail, as well as, a top-to-bottom run, so don't let that stop you from buying. Aaron covers it beautifully.

Zack

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
Thank you for a great review :)
I don't know if this should be considered a great review! Overall the review is like saying, this trick is the best one ever! Hence the 10's all around.

I would give it 7-8's but not ten, it's easy, but doesn't get the type of reactions, or the type of thing a spectator is completely stumped about.

It's a good trick, but not by far the be all end all type of trick, that deserves a 10 in my book!

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I don't know if this should be considered a great review! Overall the review is like saying, this trick is the best one ever! Hence the 10's all around.

I would give it 7-8's but not ten, it's easy, but doesn't get the type of reactions, or the type of thing a spectator is completely stumped about.

It's a good trick, but not by far the be all end all type of trick, that deserves a 10 in my book!

You're right, no trick deserves a ten, this deserves a 9 I'd say, and it does get great reactions. To get great reactions with this trick, your presentation needs to be spot on.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
How long is the dvd and is there anything more on the dvd then search and destroy and the nowhere pass? If so what?

I have the book and i know its a great trick but 30 seems quit expensive if its just that on the dvd.

Mar 27, 2009
Ok But......

Overall not a bad trick, but for 30$ I recommend a dvd with several tricks or moves so to speak. Andthensome, will give you a bigger bang for the buck.

Jul 16, 2008
austin, tx
I think you'd have to be pretty heavily biased toward visual-learning or extremely interested in the performance shots of Fisher doing the trick to justify purchasing this because you can get the ENTIRE Paper Engine for less than this DVD.

Jun 22, 2008
I donno, we goes into way more detail about the nowhere pass and covers alot of points on it that he doesn't really go into in the book. It really changed the way i was doing the nowhere pass, for that alone i think it was worth the price.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results