Second Deal Copyright

Dec 9, 2008
Hi,
If I were to for example write a document for sale in the magic community, and it was a trick that included second dealing in it. Who would I need permission form to teach that, who owns the copyright for second dealing?
Thanks,
Tom Field

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
As far as I am aware (and you will want more than just my word) you don't need any permission. One, it is not copyrighted as sleights cannot be copyrighted, and Two it is so old that even if it was it wouldn't matter now.

Dec 26, 2007
I believe you don't need permission but it seems sensible to give a breif explanation with a reference to where the move was intially published as this is only ethical, and is the most fair option in your situation. Hope that helps.

Definitely reference to a book where you learned the sleight. If you didn't learn the sleight from a book, then find a book (like S.W. Erdnase Expert at the Card Table) where it is detailed, and use that as a reference.

-Bill

Dec 14, 2007
While the second deal is not copyrighted, certain versions of it are associated with one particular person. It would be wise to both credit and obtain permission from them if you were using one of these "proprietary" techniques. Also, the actual description of the move must be from your own pen. Unless you are cribbing from a work out of copyright, you cannot use another author's description as your own. Just FYI.

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results