Second Deal Usage Questions

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
This is why I don't (and can't) do the second deal:-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCIcOieAepn/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Jokes apart, I am on the verge of learning the second deal once and for all this time, but should I follow what is written on EATCT or ECT more comprehensively? (They vary in terms of a few crucial finger positions).

Can a second deal be a good substitute for a top change? Is it more angle proof if I were to break it down (compared to a top change)?

Ultimately, in specifically magic (not gambling demonstration-type magic), is it worth the time and intensive practice required to get it down? Is there anything a second deal can do that a double lift where I draw back the top card as I deal the second one down, can't do?

Thanks in advance!

:)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've used the second deal as a card control for years.

I wouldn't replace a top change with it, though. Doesn't make sense to me to use a second deal in the context a top change would normally be used in.

Ultimately, in specifically magic (not gambling demonstration-type magic), is it worth the time and intensive practice required to get it down?

Depends on if you actually use it. If you do use it, then yes it's worth it. If you don't use it, then it's not worth it.

Sleights are tools. Each tool is useful in different situations. The more tools you have, the easier you can solve problems.

Is there anything a second deal can do that a double lift where I draw back the top card as I deal the second one down, can't do?

Double lift, replace the cards, then deal.

Or - deal the second card.

Second deal is a more efficient and logically consistent move in that scenario.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I've used the second deal as a card control for years.
Do you have any video of you performing that? I am a bit curious and can't figure out any way to do that right now (the reason might be my lack of sleep or lack of magical knowledge and I like to think it's the former).

Also, I get what you mean. But then, I always end up coming to the conclusion that the top change is the best way to go (no lifts, and no apparent dealing motion either). If only I could muster up the courage to do it in public :oops:.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I do not. I haven't recorded a public-ready video of any of my performances in years, and since I don't do card tricks for professional work any more I'm not likely to do so any time soon.

Jul 26, 2016
@Mohana, don't worry if you cannot do a good second deal. Sure it can be useful, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of great card tricks (and even gambling demonstrations, if one is so inclined) that do not require a second deal. What is important is being able to present strong, entertaining magic, and that's exactly what you did in that Instagram video. Your patter about the second deal is engaging and the handling was slow, deliberate, clean, and fair. You have yourself a great trick there, which is bound to amaze almost anyone, and that is a very valuable thing!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
@Mohana, don't worry if you cannot do a good second deal. Sure it can be useful, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of great card tricks (and even gambling demonstrations, if one is so inclined) that do not require a second deal. What is important is being able to present strong, entertaining magic, and that's exactly what you did in that Instagram video. Your patter about the second deal is engaging and the handling was slow, deliberate, clean, and fair. You have yourself a great trick there, which is bound to amaze almost anyone, and that is a very valuable thing!
Thank you very much! :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results