Second Deal vs. Double Lift

Aug 31, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Which do you perfer, a good second deal, or double lift. The way i see it, a second deal would be way better because you you have no change of the audience slipping a glimpse of two cards.

//Discuss

Feb 19, 2008
Austin Tx
Well it really depends on what routine or trick you're doing i mean the classic 2 card monte routine has to use a triple lift and a top change but i see what you mean, i have trouble doing a top change so i would go for a double lift if it was a choice on the spot, but i work more with a variation of a top change and double lift i caught from a routine by Jay Sankey with the Jail and the guards is pretty efficient and works just as well...

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
You should research yourself first.

I prefer the double lift because there are more variations to it and I find it a lot more effective and less risky than the second deal.
What? I know what a second deal is, and I know what a double lift is, What does he want to know about these 2 sleights?

Brian

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Which do you perfer, a good second deal, or double lift. The way i see it, a second deal would be way better because you you have no change of the audience slipping a glimpse of two cards.

//Discuss

Since I use regular Bikes or Split Spades, both having the white border, it makes second deals difficult at best. I am sure an experienced gambling cheat could make much better use of it than I could but frankly I don't use it often. If anything I would use it as part of a deception to make them think I am possibly second dealing but all the while I am doing something completely different in order to make the cards appear in a certain order. With a solid back deck like Bee's with the crosscut patterns second dealing can be done right under their noses much easier depending on which second deal you use.

The DL is my personal preference because I have invested quite a bit of time into getting it to look as natural and relaxed as possible during a routine. I also think that for the type of card work I usually perform the DL is more applicable than a second deal. The DL also, in my eyes, gives a much more fair presentation of the card than the second deal.

In the end the two are very different in my eyes and each has their own place separate from one another.

--Jim

For me, I would prefer a good second deal to a good double lift anyday. In this time we encounter DL after DL after DL I can't remember the last time I saw a second deal not including any of richard turners work, but then again it was filmed way back is the 1800s just kidding. I think it was the last 70's early 80's. And it gives me something to work on... because they are very difficult with white borders as someone already stated. But I have used the "flash" of a second deal to through someone off before, thats always fun.

Sep 15, 2007
You know this is a somewhat silly question as both have their uses.
I use the push off double and a push off Second deal.
There are things you can do with a double lift that you cannot do with a second deal.
Both have their uses is the point.
I have seen a double used in tricks like Invible Palm that would be unusable with just a second deal.
It all depends on what your going to do with the sleights and then choose the best one for the trick your performing.
You can easily make a double look like a single card but as with all good magic you must practice practice and then practice again.
If your double is not staying together you must explore the reason for that action.....Why? Whewn you figure out what it is that is causing the split then you will have learned something important.

If you flashing the deal then your angle is wrong for one but it could also be a speed problem ....you must explore that path as well.
Good magic takes work.
Snorri
Snorri

Jan 27, 2008

//Discuss

Wait a second, your gonna assume that the extremely difficult Second Deal technique is better than the Double Lift just because you might slip-up on the Double Lift instead of the Second Deal? Whoa, dude. Mastery technique is A BASIC NECCESITY. If you slip up on something an easy as the double lift but you can execute a second deal with ease? :confused:

Besides, what is the scenario? Both are great but only for certain purposes. Your not going to do Here Then There using the Second Deal are you?

..:Z:..

r29

Jan 23, 2008
personally i hate the double lift or triple lift sooo i say second deal but if u were to ask me i like neither lols i rather ahve the spector chose the card freely then control it but it also depends on what trick

You know this is a somewhat silly question as both have their uses.
I use the push off double and a push off Second deal.
There are things you can do with a double lift that you cannot do with a second deal.
Both have their uses is the point.
I have seen a double used in tricks like Invible Palm that would be unusable with just a second deal.
It all depends on what your going to do with the sleights and then choose the best one for the trick your performing.
You can easily make a double look like a single card but as with all good magic you must practice practice and then practice again.
If your double is not staying together you must explore the reason for that action.....Why? Whewn you figure out what it is that is causing the split then you will have learned something important.

If you flashing the deal then your angle is wrong for one but it could also be a speed problem ....you must explore that path as well.
Good magic takes work.
Snorri
Snorri

Very well said.

Aug 31, 2007
MI, US
you should be putting alot of practice into all your moves. double lifts MORE than most. its the most used and it should be the best. but most magicians suck at it. well they think they rock, but they don't. something i've noticed

Well I really meant that it is harder to pull of a second deal for most people.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results