Self working / Semi Automatic card tricks for a large audience?

Aug 20, 2017
Quakertown, PA
Hello everyone. I was just asked to perform at a gathering for a nurses graduation for about 100 plus people. I have never performed for that many before, I usually do crowds of 20 or less, and its usually at someone's home, so doing close up card tricks everyone can see and follow along. But what can I do for these many people. the one thing I thought of was a routine of John Bannon's called Nationwide, from his book Destination Zero, and a Do as I Do card trick, as well as maybe a routine I saw on Penn & Teller were cards are handed out to the audience and in the end the torn card each one withholds matches the other half they pick out of the cards that are left. I welcome any ideas along the lines of what could be self working or semi automatic.

Aug 20, 2017
Quakertown, PA
Yes. I have an escape from chains that I can do. Also I know its cards, but I have an ESP routine from Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. I can throw in a rope trick were you have three different lengths and make them all the same length. Unfortunately most of what I have been doing is cards. This routine would only be about 20 to 25 minutes, because there is a band that will also be performing.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Yes. I have an escape from chains that I can do. Also I know its cards, but I have an ESP routine from Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. I can throw in a rope trick were you have three different lengths and make them all the same length. Unfortunately most of what I have been doing is cards. This routine would only be about 20 to 25 minutes, because there is a band that will also be performing.
Professors Nightmare, the rope routine you mentioned, plays big so you may want to consider doing it. There are some cut and restored rope routines that segue into Professors Nightmare too if you're looking for a bit of variety. I believe these could be found on a L&L DVD for rope tricks.

ESP is fun too, and can add a little variety but may come across as "more card tricks."

There's a Bank Night routine on Move Zero Vol.4 that's self working and seems like a lot of fun. I haven't done it but it's something that interested me. You should check out that whole DVD.

Vanishing Inc. Put out a project with Ryan Shlutz called Super Strong Super Simple, and it has a good variety of really simple tricks that pack a wallop. I recommend Simon Aronson's Shuffle-Bored.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/super-strong-super-simple/

Do you have any books on magic? Not on card tricks alone, but general magic.

Also, since you're performing for Nurses, you should try and include some things in your patter that relates to them. That's where some research comes in.

Aug 1, 2008
I would recommend you take a deeper look into John Bannon, his Move Zero dvds have lots of self-working routines which you can also modify to have some more convincers here and there. His "dealing with it" dvd packs a punch too.

There is also the book from Fulves that contains many tricks that are self working. You can get a gist of some self-working principles there and even build your own stuff from there.

BTW I have done 20 mins of card tricks without issue before, it's all in the presentation. For example, a simple mentalism trick with the one ahead principle can take a good 10 minutes if you want (maybe include a wrong prediction / color change if you are doing it with cards).

Good luck!

Nov 27, 2017
Don't be afraid, and believe in what you do ( I know bullshit words ), but really ! Only with cards you can blow their mind ! Depends on much how you act. By the way, my suggestion is, make a story, and 3-4 trick maximum, connect them in some way maybe, and involve the audience. (Use ballons to select people or so, Penn and Teller shows had great examples how to perform close up card effects to a bigger crowd)

The easiest and smallest effect can also had a big reaction if you do it well. I will think more about the how I will perform part not what exactly. (Esp and what you mentioned are perfect also)

When will it happen? How many time do you have to prepare?

All the best, good luck !

Reactions: Robert1996
Nov 27, 2017
I have a trick on the Marketplace called "Dicewave" that is a completely self working color changing deck routine! Here is the direct link if you are interested. Its FREE!
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/michael-obrien/dicewave

I love this trick and performance so much !!! I just amazed, how you can even do any trick sitting opposite amazing sexy Veronica Barragan :D She is so beautiful , I will totally lose my mind im sure! congratulation man :D

Reactions: obrienmagic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results