Self working tricks

Aug 6, 2017
I need some good self working tricks in case someone is on to me so I can fool them easily. If you know any good ones please let me know. Thanks. If you know any from some books I have a good amount. I have royal road, all card colleges expert card technique and encyclopedia of card tricks. Oh and card manipulations.

Nov 8, 2017
These are three of my "go to" self working tricks. Tutorials are widely available on YouTube.

1. 21 Cards

I saw this on Danocracy's channel on YouTube. The effect is simple. The spectator is shown 21 cards and asked to think of one. The cards are dealt into three piles, three times. The fourth time the magician deals the cards he stops midway and reveals the spectators card. I like it because the spectator never actually has to touch the cards, merely think of one.

2. Four Aces

Another widely known and easy to perform trick. After a false cut and a riffle shuffle the magician begins dealing cards face down into a pile in front of the spectator until the spectator tells them to stop. The magician then deals out the cards (or has the spectator deal out the cards) into four equal piles from left to right in sequence. Naturally when all the cards are dealt and the top card is flipped over it is an ace. Some variations have the spectator cut the cards into piles. Plenty of versions on YouTube but usually a winner and requires minimal set up and can be reset quickly in the bathroom.

3. Kings and Queens

The magician pulls out the kings and queens and assembles two piles in chase order, one for the kings and one for the queens. The magician spreads the cards out in front of the spectator and asks them to think of a card. The cards are then gathered up and one set is jogged up while the other is concealed. The magician asks if the spectator sees his card (this works best when the spectator writes down their card to avoid liars). The magician gathers the cards and asks again and then a third time. At this point the magician deals out the cards in two piles and flips a packet over revealing the color, deals out the cards revealing the suit, deals out the cards revealing the value and finally flips over the spectator's card. This one usually blows people's mind. Minimal set up and instant reset.

Aug 6, 2017
These are three of my "go to" self working tricks. Tutorials are widely available on YouTube. I will provide links after briefly describing the trick in case you already know it.

1. 21 Cards

I saw this on Danocracy's channel on YouTube. The effect is simple. The spectator is shown 21 cards and asked to think of one. The cards are dealt into three piles, three times. The fourth time the magician deals the cards he stops midway and reveals the spectators card. I like it because the spectator never actually has to touch the cards, merely think of one.

It will be the first trick presented in this video:

2. Four Aces

Another widely known and easy to perform trick. After a false cut and a riffle shuffle the magician begins dealing cards face down into a pile in front of the spectator until the spectator tells them to stop. The magician then deals out the cards (or has the spectator deal out the cards) into four equal piles from left to right in sequence. Naturally when all the cards are dealt and the top card is flipped over it is an ace. Some variations have the spectator cut the cards into piles. Plenty of versions on YouTube but usually a winner and requires minimal set up and can be reset quickly in the bathroom.

3. Kings and Queens

The magician pulls out the kings and queens and assembles two piles in chase order, one for the kings and one for the queens. The magician spreads the cards out in front of the spectator and asks them to think of a card. The cards are then gathered up and one set is jogged up while the other is concealed. The magician asks if the spectator sees his card (this works best when the spectator writes down their card to avoid liars). The magician gathers the cards and asks again and then a third time. At this point the magician deals out the cards in two piles and flips a packet over revealing the color, deals out the cards revealing the suit, deals out the cards revealing the value and finally flips over the spectator's card. This one usually blows people's mind. Minimal set up and instant reset.

YouTube Performance and Tutorial:
Thank you!

Reactions: PeterGray

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
One of the more popular tricks out there is the piano trick. The spectator can shuffle, there's no sleight of hand, the cards are shown very fairly, and you have the added bonus of tying your spectator to the table with your cards. The only trouble is that there are some tough psychological manipulation that needs to take place for the trick to work.

I created a trick a while ago that is very cool. I'll PM you the tutorial.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Get Scane on Card Tricks. It's loaded with great material. Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest have self working effects that are routine do together. Karl Fulves has some great self working material. John Bannon's book Destination Zero has some great effects. You also can't go wrong with Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks. Jim Steinmeyer's Impuzzabilities books are also great.

In Royal Road, you have Poker Player's Picnic, Intuition with Cards, Do as I Do, Intuition with Cards and the Piano Trick.

In Scarne's book, my favorites are Upside Down Deck, Traveling Aces, Drunken Poker Deal, Calling the Cards, Nomenclature, Swimmers (which I've adapted to use the numbers off of a randomly selected lottery ticket), Do as I Do, Piano Card Trick, Calling the Cards, The Betting Card Trick, Hit the Deck, The New Poker Deal (using a newly opened deck) and Miraskill.

Other favorites include Bannon's Play it Straight Triumph (I don't remember if that is in Destination Zero but it is in a couple of his other books), Bannon's View to a Kill (not in any book but able to be found if you look), Giobbi's Intuition (an Out of this World), Fulves Gemini Twins and Steinmeyer's The Magician That Fools Himself.

Oct 19, 2015
As above, it is hard to beat a few self working card tricks....but I add to that group rope tricks...'cut and restored rope' and the 'Professors Nightmare' Strictly speaking these are not 'totally self-working', but they are so easy to learn and have no 'gimmick', I consider them quasi, self-working. Tons of places to learn theses but sometime ago I picked up a DVD called 30 Tricks and Tips with Rope Magic' ...www.MagicMakerssinc.com

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Get Scane on Card Tricks. It's loaded with great material. Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest have self working effects that are routine do together. Karl Fulves has some great self working material. John Bannon's book Destination Zero has some great effects. You also can't go wrong with Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks. Jim Steinmeyer's Impuzzabilities books are also great.

In Royal Road, you have Poker Player's Picnic, Intuition with Cards, Do as I Do, Intuition with Cards and the Piano Trick.

In Scarne's book, my favorites are Upside Down Deck, Traveling Aces, Drunken Poker Deal, Calling the Cards, Nomenclature, Swimmers (which I've adapted to use the numbers off of a randomly selected lottery ticket), Do as I Do, Piano Card Trick, Calling the Cards, The Betting Card Trick, Hit the Deck, The New Poker Deal (using a newly opened deck) and Miraskill.

Other favorites include Bannon's Play it Straight Triumph (I don't remember if that is in Destination Zero but it is in a couple of his other books), Bannon's View to a Kill (not in any book but able to be found if you look), Giobbi's Intuition (an Out of this World), Fulves Gemini Twins and Steinmeyer's The Magician That Fools Himself.

I just used Do As I Do with some people the other day and the reaction I got was awesome!

Jul 26, 2016
I second Realty One's recommendation of Scarne on Card Tricks. It is excellent and not expensive. Many tricks to choose from too. There are contributions from many of the greatest close up magicians of all time. Scarne has creatively adapted the tricks so that no sleight of hand is required. And he has even given suggested entertaining patter for each trick, although you can add your own touches and creativity, which is always a good idea.

You mentioned you have the Royal Road. Check out "A Poker Player's Picnic" if you haven't already. It's really strong. The spectator does all the cutting and dealing and yet magically produces the 4 Aces without a clue as to how he/she did it. A great surprise!

May 14, 2017
Greece
Many times i use a very easy (and i think very old) selfworking card trick. Its is called the "slop card". Its very easy. You can use it with a lot of different ways and everytime when i use it i get "wow" reactions. You can do it with every deck of cards even with a spectator's deck ( if he has) .You can find it in Youtube!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results