Shaking the "Magic Guy" Label.

I apologize for being less active (for anyone who has noticed and/or cared) lately and hope to be more active soon. That said the question at hand for myself at least, is this:

How do I stop being known as "the magic guy"? I am a fairly experienced gigging guitarist as well as a magician and over the last year people have been starting to know me for my magic. This has caused me to stop doing magic almost completely. I would really love to keep going with it but music is just more important to me in short.

Don't get me wrong my passion for magic is strong but music IS going to be my career.

Im just curious if anyone knows a good way to shake the label? Your thoughts?

Trent.

To be honest, I have no idea, but I guess the only way would be to actually tell them you prefer music. I have other hobbies too, but I like being known for being a magic guy, it's not ruining my other talents.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Who cares what they think anyways? If you're going to become a guitarist (or any other musician) then you're going to sell great songs, whose sales won't be affected if you're known as a 'magic guy' by a select few. In fact, that might even increase the sales pitch

my thoughts...;)

GW

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The Magic Guy label is usually a result of performing too much. You just have to be yourself, more than you "are" the magic, if you get my meaning. Don't perform as much, which is good, put yourself out there as well, put yourself out there as you, and when you do perform, don't concentrate on the magic, concentrate on presenting yourself and allowing you to shine through your magic.

Good luck with the music.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Most of us are labelled as, 'the card guy or 'the magic guy'. I believe this is a result of you performing magic too often, or maybe it is because you're magic has a greater impact on people than your music. People remember you for magic because magic is something that is rare while music is something that we experience on a daily basis.

To get rid of such a stigma, I usually just establish myself as a normal person first. Esp when meeting new people, I like to introduce myself as a regular guy, so their first impression of me is nothing that impressive, and afterwards I show that I can do magic. I guess this changes their view on you from, 'the magic guy' who is my friend, to my friend who does magic.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just tell them you're focusing on music right now and taking a break from magic.

Offtopic: Wow, 5 out of 7 people posting in this thread are from NSW, Australia

Sep 20, 2008
i agree with the dude above. tell em you're good with your fingers. therefore you're better at guitar. =p

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess this changes their view on you from, 'the magic guy' who is my friend, to my friend who does magic.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I experience this at school sometimes. I once performed for my Spanish class one day. Being Spanish class, they developed "Majo Hombre" or Magic Man. Now every time they see me they call me that. It doesn't really bother me since it's only a few people and it's just a joke, but I understand where you're coming from about being known as the magic man. Listen to DLeerium. That's some good advice.

-Kevin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results