should I?

Jan 1, 2011
hello i am a 14 year old magician i have been doing magic for about 10 months now. and today its super nice out and i kinda of feel like i should do some street magic downtown at a park on the water but i dont know who i should aproach and if this i to early

pls respond asap thank you

May 7, 2009
Hey Man, I am a fifteen year old magician so I understand what your talking about. One thing I have learned from doing magic is the best way to get better is to go out and actually perform. That being said, don't take this the wrong way, when you look back on it in 2 or 3 years, you will realize that at this time you suck. It happens to all of us. 2 years ago I was AWFUL. But the reason i was awful is because its in perspective to how good I am now. And i am 100% sure that in 2 more years, I will look back on how good i am now and go "damn I really sucked."

The only way to get better though, and to eventually realize I wasnt so good back then, is to improve, and the best way to improve is to go out and perform.

I have two favorite approaches are - 1) just be honest. go up to them and just say I am out here looking to show people a good time and see if they want to be entertained. Using this approach however sets you up for rejection if they are not interested, so dont get discouraged by rejection

2) is I flourish or do multiple card springs. The card spring is the most well known flourish to laymen and therefore if they are interested, they may ask to see it again or they will look at u funny. If they look at you funny then engage in conversation, tell them you do magic as well, and most likely they would LOVE to see it.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes
K

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm also 14 and have been into magic for about 6 years.

Definitely go for it. You won't get better at street magic and approaching people unless you go out and do it. I mean, the worst they could say is no right? :)

If you need some tips, go HERE (shameless plug)

Nov 27, 2009
Definitely go out and perform! As the others here have said, performing is the best way to learn. Make sure you start with routines that you're comfortable with, and then, if the crowd likes you and you're not getting heckled try some stuff that you may have been practicing for a few weeks, but are not quite sure how it'll go in performance.

One final thing, make sure you at least fake confidence. If you're not confident everyone will know because it will show in your performing. Also, if you find you really like street performance, check out these videos from MagicGeek.

How to be a street magician part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jRO-nJHmdE

How to be a street magician part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7zwIlsyTk

Apr 7, 2011
the underground.
Some advice...

BE CONFIDENT, RESPECTFUL AND ENTERTAINING
PERFORM ROUTINES YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH
INVOLVE THE SPECTATORS INTO THE EFFECTS

Good luck and have fun! (Y)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results