Sick!

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe it's the generation gap or something, but since when was "sick" an exclamation of coolness?

Man, that trick is totally sick dude!

Huh? Is it just me that doesn't get it? Sick...that's like vomit, right?

And also...is this a bit of slang that's widespread, or is it limited to the magical community? Can a great new film be "totally sick", or is it just the latest amazing new effects that get the label?

I feel old before my time.

Sep 2, 2007
According to the Merriam-Webster World Dictionary, sick means especially radical or dramatic, can pertain to either wave or performer or card tricks.

Hope this helps. :D

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
Even with the dictionary definitions, I'm more interested in when it became a regularly used word, in the context we are discussing. I get what it means, but it just kinda...I don't know...crept up on me.

And worryingly...I appear to be the only one!

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I remember when I was growing up that it was common place to over hear someone use the word "sick" to define it as cool. Heck, I myself, admit to doing this. So apparently it's been around for a while.

Shane K.

Sep 25, 2007
Maybe it's the generation gap or something, but since when was "sick" an exclamation of coolness?

Man, that trick is totally sick dude!

Huh? Is it just me that doesn't get it? Sick...that's like vomit, right?

And also...is this a bit of slang that's widespread, or is it limited to the magical community? Can a great new film be "totally sick", or is it just the latest amazing new effects that get the label?

I feel old before my time.

Well, it makes about as much sense as:

Cool
Hot
Neat
Boss
Far Out
Killer
Wicked
The Bees Knees
Cool Beans
Tubular
List goes on and on... welcome to the slang

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
haha, urban dictionary, remember that place...

Um...I use sick sometimes, alot of people use it these days, I suppose it's like this....

in the 80's cool was said to be "groovy" then when I was young, everyone said wicked...now it's either "sick, "cool", or "rad"

I guess it just changes as trends alter.

I just say whatever i want..

I dont follow trends, Never have and never will

And i love urban Dictionary =P

~Jordan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results