Silver Dream or Digital Dissolve?

Nov 24, 2007
Which do you think is better? There both very nice tricks even though I can only get digital disolve from my local magic shop now. I like the sleveing used in silver dream and done well looks unditectible but probably takes alot of practice. Also I belive Silver dream's teachings could be used for other efects. But digital dissolve is the most clean finishing gaffed coin trick I have ever seen. What do you think?

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
Unless the post has changed from the original post, I don't see this as exposure. Silver Dream is marketed as a sleeving DVD (says so on the page you buy it from) and Digital Dissolve is known to involve gaffed coins.

Short answer = Silver Dream

That being said, I'd base my decision around a few factors:

Silver Dream is definatly applicable to more situations, hands down. I use various vanishes from the DVD in other contexts on a regular basis...and the fact that the main version of the effect is gimmick-free and impromptu is great.

The catch? Obviously, you have to wear sleeves. Granted, there's a "sleevless" gimmicked version...but you have to do extra work to end clean and frankly, the part of the DVD that makes the purchase worth the price is the description Justin does of sleeving.

If you're in a controlled environment and you're working, say at a restaurant and will have the gimmick on you, DD is a fun effect. Very visual. However, Silver Dream is very visual, and can be performed without the gimmick...here's MY breakdown:

DigD Pros:
VERY visual startling change
Happens on the spectators hand and gets them involved
Easy. There's one move you'll have to work on to get it looking 100% natural, but still, easy.

DigD Cons:
Gimmick involved, not impromptu.
IF the "easy" move is off JUST A LITTLE, the effect mechanism becomes painfully obvious.
End slightly dirty---easy to clean up because all heat is on the coins in the spectators hands, but still, end dirty

SilverD Pros:
One on one sleeving lecture with Justin Miller.
Three vanishes can be used individually during other routines.
End clean. Let'em grab at your hands...the coins are NOT there.

SilverD Cons:
Let's face it, it's fairly difficult to get used to. You WILL drop the coins in the beginning. It WILL take time to get it down. You most likely won't be performing this one for a little while...especially if coin-work is new to you.
You have to wear sleeves. There's nothing special about the gimmicked version of Silver Dream that would make it worthy of the purchase price....plus then you're adding the con of having to have a gimmick on you.

Sep 24, 2007
I cannot recommend Silver Dream enough. Just get it.

Actually, on second thought. How experienced are you in coin magic? 2 or 3 months of hard practice will remotely prepare you for the difficulty of Silver Dream.

If you do not have Michael Ammar's coin dvd, or David Roth's Dvd's, or DAvid Stones Dvds, it's not worth it to get either effect.

Also. Why would you want "psycho" reactions. YOu want to amaze your spectator, not drive them insane.

-Chicken

Thanks guys for the support of Silver Dream..you guys made it number 3 in the Magic woods awards!

DD is def. more of a visual effect..but this is like comparing apples to oranges!
DD is a two coin transpo..very visual and very clean looking..

SD is a three coin vanish that is also very clean. SD is structured in a way that ALLOWS the mind to believe the vanishes are visual..

SD will def take you some time to get to a point where you are comfortable and even more time to get to the point of where you are confident with it.

DD or SD that is the question...

Justin N. Miller

Silver Dream, all the way.

I like DD but heres what a you get, a VERY short dvd that has an easter egg that teaches the effect better than Dan White (sorry, but its true). And a gimmick which may or may not work... You also get a great effect no doubt about that though.

Silver Dream is one of the best purchases i've ever made. I was a bare bones beginner in coin magic when I got it and now, almost a year later, I can sleeve like no tomorrow... and that is thanks to Justin's impecible (sp?) teaching.

Sharp

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I know this doesn't really have anything to do with Digital Dissolve, but I figured I'd ask seeing how it deals with Silver Dream.

Is it feasible to use silver dollars for it instead of half dollars? I'm thinking of picking a few of them up sometime and I wanted to know if I could transfer the use of them instead of half dollars.

Thanks,

Shane K.

Sep 24, 2007
Sure you can do it with silver dollars. If you look on Justin's site... not wait that got removed.

Just look for a performance of Justin doing it on youtube with silver dollars. THE CRAZIEST SILVER DREAM I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

I have had the dvd for months, and consider myself quite adequete with coin magic. I did not see a thing.

-Chicken

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
To add onto the question about Silver Dream and using Silver Dollars...you most certainly can.

If you don't own it, learning some (one in particular) of the vanishes will almost be like learning the muscle pass....in that you'll have to build up muscles to be able to do the vanish adequately with a larger coin.

BUT, once you've done it, and then you go back to a on-the-street "show me something" setting where all you have are quarters on you, the quarters seem like they just melt away.

Doing it wil Silver Dollars is indeed more difficult at first, but VERY MUCH worth the effort. If you get the effect, start by using quarters or halves and work your way up to the larger coins. If I can ever get my camera back (its broke), I'll record a performance with silver dollars and post it.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Ah, it definatly sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I'm definatly going to see if I can't get ahold of some silver dollars sometime in the very near future.

I've already developed a decent muscle pass with half dollars, but from what I understand I'm going to have to learn to get used to muscle passing something bigger. Oh well, hard work is always welcome to me!

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
Just to clarify, I'm not refering to the actual muscle pass. I'm saying that SIMILARLY to the fact that one must work up their muscle to do a muscle pass, one will also have to work up a certain muscle to do one of the vanishes on silver dream. It'll take practice...but eventually, you'll be able to do it with large coins. The vanish I'm refering to doesn't use a muscle pass....but I was making that statement to give you an idea of how you'll have to practice the vanish.

Nov 24, 2007
I cannot recommend Silver Dream enough. Just get it.

Actually, on second thought. How experienced are you in coin magic? 2 or 3 months of hard practice will remotely prepare you for the difficulty of Silver Dream.

If you do not have Michael Ammar's coin dvd, or David Roth's Dvd's, or DAvid Stones Dvds, it's not worth it to get either effect.

Also. Why would you want "psycho" reactions. YOu want to amaze your spectator, not drive them insane.

-Chicken
I have been realy in to magic for about three years now and I am pretty good. I know silver dream is challenging but i think I can get the hang of it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results